Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Travel set up - worth it?

philhilo

I have a trip to the Med soon and South Africa later in the year. I am contemplating putting together a travel set up. I was thinking a SW Star Adventurer Pro + DSLR + small refractor.I bought a WO 66 with this in mind but have realised it is still going to take up a lot of space and weight with the flattener/connector set up (it is however a great scope so no regrets). I am now thinking Samyang/Rokinon 135mm as the scope. Am I going to be disappointed with the results, is it worth the ~£700  it is going to cost with a 2nd hand lens + new mount + tripod + ball head? I currently image with 200mm Newt and the WO 66 using a DSLR in a bortle 8+ backyard.

Cheers.

23 hours ago, geordie85 said:

It is an amazing lens and I doubt you'd be disappointed in it. Have a look here at what it's capable of. 

I have no doubt the lens is good, but was more wondering what the results were like when used on a travel mount such as the Star Adventurer with its limited tracking/guiding ability

9 hours ago, philhilo said:

I have no doubt the lens is good, but was more wondering what the results were like when used on a travel mount such as the Star Adventurer with its limited tracking/guiding ability

Here's an image I took with a star adventurer and Samyang 135mm with my qhy183c. 

Its a 2 panel mosaic. 34 x 60 second subs for the bottom panel, 21 x 60 second subs for the top panel. All subs taken at f2. 

Hope this helps. 

1675974461_auto_stretch_orionapp.jpg.c7d327723e5bf76f8f6df97f81b30b41.jpg

Ok, that's pretty and answers the question - yes a travel set up can produce worthwhile results. Use the big aperture of the samyang to reduce the exposure time down to a point where guiding isn't really needed (I know the staradventurer will guide but it starts to become a bit arduous as a travel/ holiday quick hit rig, had wondered about a Asiair but that needs power). 

Cheers.