Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astro Reading...

Captain Scarlet

I’m in the middle of this book. As you can see from the images below, it was published in 1969, and is essentially a history of astronomy from antiquity as chronicled in literature. It’s fascinating and hugely enjoyable. If this is your kind of thing I urge you to find a copy and read it.

It seems A.J. Meadows was a well known academic astronomer of his day. I wonder if anyone here knew or met him? 

One thing I find especially interesting is reading stuff like this that was written in a different era: the common assumptions of life and “how things are”, in this case from 1969, compared to what we take for granted today.

i hadn’t realized for example that early astronomers were astrologers too ... that’s what their patrons, wealthy nobility, wanted, paid and “kept” them for, thus much of their proper research was done under that guise.

This is it:

0E7595D0-95D5-4DEF-BB94-A35C6634E8E4.jpeg

19D80E9D-DFAA-45ED-A6E3-9C222F344C41.jpeg

D0E646A1-8FD7-4AC7-840B-C5236E29FF70.jpeg

E114AA22-5064-4F55-9FF6-77FA33CBABC7.jpeg

Edited by Captain Magenta

Nice one!  I too find it fascinating to read older books, and compare to what we (think) we know now... the pace of discovery is astounding.

My wife likes to tell people that I'm into astrology 🙄

She thinks she's very funny

... I don't!