Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First time out

Oakbeard

I got my 1st scope, an heritage 130p and today the weather finally cleared up for a quick out. I live in a major city and after a short 20min stroll I arrived a big park where I planned to observe (the heritage can be carried without too much trouble, but I need to figure out a backpack solution). Conditions where I think as good as they were going to get for my inexperienced star gazing. I had planned to focus my attention on Orion but I was fouled by trees blocking most of the constellation. My so saved the session by suggesting we look "over there", I wasn't sure what it was but it was the Pleiades and what a beautiful sight it was on the 25mm. I had fun poking around the sky, looking at venus (trying 130x I could actually see a crescent shadow) and at some of the brighter stars, vega and pollux mostly. Towards the end I decided to revisit the Pleiades again trough my binos and sorely miss a support but good views nonetheless. All in all I would say it was a great, albeit short, first session. It was getting a bit cold but it was immensely pleasurable to be out learning the night sky. Cant wait to go back out again, especially in more favorable skies.

• Like 7