Dedicated Astro Camera workflow

smr

Hi,

How does an OSC workflow compare to using a DSLR?

With my DSLR I use live view to focus on a bright star. 

How do you do this with an OSC Camera or Mono Camera if there is no live view ?

I use APT Tool; can I use this to focus?

At the moment I take just Flats and use Bias with my DSLR. Flats are taken using my laptop screen and using notepad. 

How do you take BIAS and Lightframes with an OSC?

Thanks.

You need to connect to a computer. Most camera manufacturers offer their own software. Other options are ASCOM based (windows) or INDI based (linux) solutions.

Your workflow will depend on the software used.

Edited by wimvb
  • Like 1

As per the above you need to connect the camera to the computer using a USB cable and then yes, APT does have a couple of focusing aids - one where you just see what the camera is seeing and it displays the FMHW value and you aim to get this number as low as possible.  You centre a little window over a star in the image and adjust the focusser until this is the loweest number and the 'Peak' the highest number.

It also has a rather nifty Bahnitov mask aid where you put the mask on the scope, move the cross hair over a star and hit calc.  It then shows you how close to perfect focus you are.

Both work very well and are pretty easy to get the hang of.

• Like 2