NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Imaging with a Celestron Nexstar 130SLT, Alt-Az

Hey all,

Having started imaging again, but not having money for some of the more expensive setups, I bought a second hand Celestron Nexstar 130 SLT. I will upgrade eventually, but for now am enjoying the challenge.

Having done some research online and found that you can do short exposure imaging with Alt-Az mounts, I also found out you can get the longest exposures by having the target near to 90'/270' Az and 40' Alt. This will give the least amount of field rotation due to lack of EQ mount. There is a good website about this, but haven't linked as I am not sure I can  'plug' the website. 

I used a Canon 60D, unmodified and used the option to lock the mirror up. Once the mirror was up I waited 5 seconds for the scope to settle the vibrations and then took the exposure. Also noticed any strongish wind would cause vibration due to lack of scope stability (legs all the way in to help)

Last night we had some clear spells with mist layers here and there. I decided to just check out exposure times. I 'Skyaligned' the scope and used a bahtinov mask for focus (forgot to lock the focus!....schoolboy error!). I took 43x13s exposures of Orion at ISO 3200 and also took some dark and bias frames. Stacked in DSS and final edits in Affinity Photo (still learning, especially masks) 

As a final test I pointed the scope and Pollux which was at 90' Az 40' Alt and took a 30s exposure. Happy that there didn't seem to be any noticeable rotation of local stars.

To be honest I am quite happy with how they came out and looking forward to catching some more information. Learning a lot using the Alt-Az setup, but definitely have my eyes on upgrading to an EQ mount and a larger Mak type scope. I do miss my old Nexstar 6SE!

377649632_20200115OrionNebulaDirtyDSS3Edit.thumb.jpg.1036f7b38d0a123448ac7e6f9f54bee8.jpg1074321913_20200115Pollox30sec.thumb.jpg.64e5317a9474b75957a601129185b321.jpg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

That's great. Plus you could try just your camera with camera lens on your mount too which would be lighter and give nice wider field images.

That is my next mission for Andromeda, Double Cluster etc. 👍

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 30/01/2020 at 13:50, Science562h said:

How much weight does that EQ hold? Will it hold a full size 8" 203-1200mm DOB?

It is rated to carry 30lbs.  I've been considering buying one, but their are so my choices I'm just not sure which mount would be best for beginning photography.

The Sky Watcher EQ35 is in the same price range and some people say it is excellent.  Going to keep reading and looking before I buy. I live in rural Texas and my backyard has very dark black skies.  The visible stars are just amazing