NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cloud dodging 12/01/2020

Yawning Angel

The moon rose into view on the evening of the 12th with a stunning multi coloured moonbow, and clearly showing that the weather forecast was wrong yet again 🙂 

Since there were some patches of clear, I thought I'd do some cloud dodging and see what I could get. Rolled the roof off, fired up the gear and the sky had cleared a little. My intended target of the Horsehead nebula was, in soup, and glancing around with the Mk-I eyeball showed much of the same elsewhere. So I pointed to the moon and settled in to watched the fuzz stream past on Sharpcap

Not long after, the right bit of sky came clear and I was able to grab about 20 mins on target. The best of which gave me 5000 frames @ 4ms per frame, Evostar ED80, zwo asi1600mm-pro / Baader red filter.  Focused with Sharpcap's autofocus controlling my SESTO SENSO focus motor, which worked very well

Ran the .SER through PIPP for quality sorting then 10% stack in AS!3. A gentle hand with wavelets in registax and a final balancing pass in Photoshop's Camera Raw filter

First image of 2020. Not what I set out to capture, but I'm happy nonetheless

10percentof5000framesRed12-01-2020.thumb.png.b8465bcd602dc83addb633d5aec72c00.png

Had another try for the Horsehead once the clouds shifted and murked up the moon, but only managed one framing sub then the sky duvet was pulled up tight for the night

IMG-4269.thumb.JPG.02f5478014b1f88935456e24567e2543.JPG

Action shot, I like to call "Moonlight failing on the Horsehead"

• Like 5