NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M42 with a Non DLSR compact & EQ-2...

I thought it might be worth posting my very first attempt at a DSO, taken back when we had a SW 130M & EQ-2 mount in March 2019. The pictures were taken with a Canon Sure Shot compact digital camera using  eye-piece projection & were so bad that there was no way they would stack. Initially I used an ancient copy of photoshop & manually stacked the jpg images... Today, for a laugh I had a go at reprocessing the raw files using Pixinsight (using Dynamic Alignment before integration (stacking)). Only 10 twenty-sec frames @ ISO 6400....
Quite a contrast in quality between this and the results (on other targets) since we've upgraded to a DLSR & and EQ-6 mount...
Hope it's of use to some newbies with EQ-2's out there.
Ivor

camera_mount_S.jpg

M42_tweaked.jpg

M42_Pixinsight.jpg

• Like 3

I think that is a great result, considering that it is in effect a holiday point and shoot camera on a bracket clamped to the eye piece. In my opinion you have done very well. My own personal favourite is a moon shot I have using a Sony Cybershot in the same bracket as yours. It is my screen saver and I have been asked from where did I download it. Makes me smile.

Marvin

• Like 1

They are great images @Aramcheck / Ivor. 

What I used to use was an Olymus C2040, CLA-1 adaptor tube/ring or a Nikon CoolPix900, 28mm to T-ring adaptor tube/ring and an eyepiece projection unit (made by Beacon Hill Telescopes). They occasionally come out of hibernation. The best images I have was of the transit of Venus during 2004 and they are on a 'mislaid' CD-ROM.

Now I have two Nikon DSLR's, a T-ring, the eyepiece projection unit, ...and lots of cloud.

2 hours ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Does anyone out there know when the first image of M42 was taken?

From a quick 'Google' it was first photographed in 1880 by Henry Draper. Several citations including https://www.facebook.com/svtelescopes/posts/day-in-history-september-30-1880-the-first-photo-of-orion-nebula-taken-by-henry-/10156668223133434/ which indicates a 51 min exposure & includes this photo:

1st M42.jpg

• Like 3