NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron 130 md diagonal terrestrial image..?

Hi all,

brand new to all this telescopey (!) thing. I’ve just purchased a used Celestron 130eq with motor drive.

It all looks in excellent condition.

I live on the coast and bought this more to replace my binoculars and view ships etc as use for Astro stuff. 

But... Using both supplied lenses my images are right way round but on the diagonal...🤬

...what have I done and what can I do to remedy this..?

The 130eq is sold as terrestrial and Astro- hence my purchase.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.👍

‘signed an idiot🤔

Hello and welcome to SGL. The Astromaster 130 is primarily an astronomical Newtonian telescope and, as such, will give an inverted image. Celestron include with the telescope a 20mm erect image eyepiece which flips the image the right way up for terrestrial viewing. Start adding a normal diagonal into the light path and the image will get reinverted again. 

Did you get this eyepiece with the kit?  This one is from my Celestron "PowerSeeker" 172EQ kit...

finis.jpg.ce7fa0e203994091afd6212a69644236.jpg

If so, then you can use it for daytime/terrestrial observations; birds in trees, ships at sea, that sort of thing.  The eyepiece contains an Amici, erect-image prism at the bottom of the barrel which effects the correctly-oriented view.  No other eyepiece will contains such, to my knowledge.  Meade has offered one, too, in the past at least.  There are image-erectors.  They look like a barlow, into which you insert an eyepiece, but it's awfully long, and would jut out of your focusser like a tower...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31w5%2BbvEodL.jpg

Newtonians, however, are not configured and designed for such.  Amici, erect-image diagonals can be used with refractors and Cassegrains(Maksutov and Schmidt), but not with Newtonians.  If terrestrial observations are important to you, I would suggest getting a refractor, an inexpensive achromat.