NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Towa 339 10 years on

I was messing with a few details on the late 60s early 70s Towa 80mm F15  last week having just made some tube ring adaptors for the Towa to fit in ED80 tube rings and I set it all up on my HEQ5 for a quick test. Then realised what a handsome scope it was and that got me reminiscing.

I got the scope 10 years ish ago for £60 ish off fleabay, complete with wooden crate, wobbly but elegant mount. I did a bit of resto on it and the mount and got it working and soon realised that the objective on this scope (despite a couple of clamshell chips) was excellent, it was a good planetary, lunar and double star scope, but it was let down by the snorkel focuser and 0.96 eyepieces. I made an adaptor for 1.25" eyepieces but it still was underperforming.

spacer.png

Another OTA came on the scene, (thanks Nightfisher) which I married to the mount and sold off. Thus I had the original OTA which I could update which I did with a 2" crayford focuser.

So 10 years on here it is, crayford, tube extension, more internal baffles. Its a firm fave scope at the moment because a lot of my stuff is in storage due to impending house move but this scope is light, quick to set up and convenient to use. Many scopes have come and gone but this one is a keeper

spacer.png

• Like 4