Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

problems I have overcome

Hi Everyone, Since being into stargazing for only 5 months or so and now trying my hand at imaging I’ve encountered quite a few stumbling blocks, I currently use a 200p 8” dob for imaging, the problems I’ve found are that the focuser was unable to achieve focus using the replacement skywatcher Crayford focuser, but thanks to Steve at FLO I bought a 2 speed low profile Crayford focuser which enabled me to achieve focus, of course after I bought the 2” adapter lol.

The tube of the 8” flexes a lot when the canon 40d is attached, just by gripping the focuser body and applying a little sideways force you can see it easily moving, it may as well be made from a baked-bean can, however I fixed this by getting another pair of 8” rings and moving one of them very close to the focuser and its now flex free.

I had a major problem with supplying power to the 40d I bought an astronomiser 12vt adapter but it would only work for a short time however Andy did refund me, thanks Andy.

I was able to get a fully working AC and DC supply for the camera by buying a Canon ACK-E2 AC Adaptor for about £39 from 7dayshop, I then cut into the cable with the battery adapter on and soldered a male 2.1mm power plug on one end and the female on the other, I then bought a 12vt to multi volt adapter from maplins for £9 and coupled it up. I now have an AC and DC adapter for £50 that works great and can be used in the field at a dark site on the 12vt pack or at home on AC and the beauty is that it won’t warm up the battery compartment.

Thanks for reading

Colin

Thanks for posting that Colin. Interesting about how much the tube flexed when you put the camera. The two tube rings on my 8" and the long dovetail bar to attach it to the EQ6 certainly made a difference in stability of the tube.

Sam

Hi Sam, I also have the 2 tube rings and 2 dovetails with an 80mm as a guide scope on top of the second dove tail, which is drilled out to accept the 80mm rings of the guide scope, but putting an extra 8" ring up close to the focuser solved the focuser flex. I was surprised at how much it moves, even the thick ring around the end also flexed as well.

Its a shame that they didnt make it out of thicker steel, a bit like my 10" which has no flex problems.

Its a shame they cant sort these problems out prior to shipping or even manafacturing.

Colin

Archived