NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ngc 957

alacant

ts8.jpg.e87b60e4189c33b0b27ed7e57f9b6d7e.jpgHi everyone

I put a proper dovetail and top rail on this -not so- little gem and it now looks and acts the part. No cc, filter or other glass to distort reality; just add camera nose-piece and go.

The extra weight of the dovetail was offset by using an oag, although I think that with the modifications, you may get away with a guide telescope. No blue stars though. Again!

At this fl, monkey-head nebula should fill the frame. That's the next target I think...

Thanks for looking and let's not forget the ability of the humble Newtonian. Who knows, we could even have a 6"-f8 thread; I've seen a few other -IIRC 150pl- users on the forum...

700d, nt150L, 60 minutes

800290934_1-957(copy).thumb.jpg.712b10cbb87e8f62d257f012e6d56d64.jpg

Edited by alacant
  • Like 11

10 hours ago, laser_jock99 said:

Nice rig

Very much inspired by your article on Newtonian modifications and in particular the long-strong dovetail😉

I wonder just how many Newtonians are rejected -astrograph potential wise- for having inadequate tube support afforded by their tiny narrow dovetails?

Cheers

Flexure can be problem on any scope- more so on Newtonians with thin metal tubes and heavy cameras hanging off at right angles.

I'm a great believer in beefing-up the dovetail and tube rings to support the scope properly.

Even my little 6" Newtonian benefits from a custom made, longer, stronger dovetail bar. No flexure here!

39366870531_2f6f7f8682_b.jpg

• Like 2