NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Rowan Belt modding NEQ6 - Need help!

masjstovel

Just as a thought. Try slackening off the dec worm housing bolts and backing out the grub screws. This should allow you to move the dec housing around slightly.

Tighten up the grub screw opposite the worm just until you feel some slight resistance. Then just take up the slack in  the opposite grub screw and tighten up the housing bolts then try slewing.

On 05/03/2020 at 20:55, spillage said:

Just as a thought. Try slackening off the dec worm housing bolts and backing out the grub screws. This should allow you to move the dec housing around slightly.

Tighten up the grub screw opposite the worm just until you feel some slight resistance. Then just take up the slack in  the opposite grub screw and tighten up the housing bolts then try slewing.

This is what i have done. Ill try to work a bit more with the hoising and set screws, but MANY hours have gone to that with same backlash so.

I plan to remove the housing and check the setscrew on the cog on the worm if its tight!

1 minute ago, spillage said:

the gap between the belt cog and housing should be 1mm.

It is. The problem that im portraying is the play in the cog itself. I think the setscrew thats on the flat part wasnt properly fitted/had loosened, so there was play in the cog. 

I had the cog come loose on the RA motor when I first did the belt mod. If you tighten it down bit by bit giving a wiggle each time that should make sure the grub screw is sat well on the flat.

I took my mount apart yesterday and rechecked the spacers as there was a little bit of play in RA that I could not adjust out well enough, sure enough I was over with the spacers.Just need a clear sky to test the results.

I forgot to mention. I tip for putting it all back together. If you can get hold of something like trimmer wire cut yourself of about 6", fold it in half and put it through your belt. When you put the housing back on put the two ends through the hole and pull them through the bracket with the guide wheels, bolt the housing into place and you can then pull the string/wire through gently and it will pull the belt with it.

Edited by spillage

Thx again @spillage. I wasnt wiggling so much but im fairly sure its tight now!

ah, yes - about the spacers. I did the measuring and my result was a negative value -0.015. Not sure what to do about that.. also the 3 dec bearings (minus the cone shaped - 2 on the brass and 1 on the housing. It sounds like they switch up with braking. The axis spins but not the bearing in some positions. On all 3 - maybe. I thought it was just the lower one as it is visible through the polar scope outer opening. The bearings are noe tight to spin around - so i think its just happening when theres total balance and not force on the bearings - so what this does to the guiding - i dont know?

Edited by masjstovel

On 08/03/2020 at 12:52, spillage said:

I forgot to mention. I tip for putting it all back together. If you can get hold of something like trimmer wire cut yourself of about 6", fold it in half and put it through your belt. When you put the housing back on put the two ends through the hole and pull them through the bracket with the guide wheels, bolt the housing into place and you can then pull the string/wire through gently and it will pull the belt with it.

Ah thx. Ive just used a long unbrako (hex key) to push the belt between the plastic wheels. Works fine for me after i found the technique. 

Question: could the huge backlash in DEC effect tye varies in RA guiding as well?

I mean; could the RA guiding get better after ive now fixed the DEC backlash or are they completely separate guiding-wise?

Edited by masjstovel

• 3 years later...
On 07/04/2023 at 11:53, EchoTango said:

Do you know if the bearings in the NEQ6 are the same as in the EQ6?

Do you think this set will fit the  EQ6?

https://www.bearings-online.co.uk/browse/q-eq6

Hi sorry for delay in reply i have been away working in China and they block so many western websites its not aways possible to log onto SGL.

Anyway because I have ony ever had a HEQ5  I would not like to suggest what size bearing to get for a NEQ6 or EQ6.

I would think if they advertise the set for an EQ6 then they should be the correct bearings, but at £82 without VAT they seem expensive. I bought good quality bearings direct from an on line bearing supplier and I am sure were around the £50 mark including VAT for the lot. Admittedy probably 5 years ago now, and things have gone up a lot in the last year or two so maybe not an outragous price. But at that price it may be worth stripping it down to look at the bearings first, I ordered all the bearings first and when it came to it to be honnest the only ones I really needed to replace were the small ones on the ends of the worm gear shaft, they did need changing bit all the others were absolutely fine, so I just wasted about 40 of that £50.

Sorry I cant help an more than that.

Steve

• Like 1