Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bresser telescope Messier AR-152L/1200

Dermot

Hi there, I have just purchased a Bresser telescope Messier AR-152L/1200 ota without mount and i was looking for advice on a mount for this. I was thinking of maybe trying my hand at some astrophotography at some stage .

Im new to this so any advice would be  appreciated.

Thanks for your help Dermot

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I owned the very similar Meade AR152 /1200 some time ago. It is a pretty substantial scope and for visual observing I felt that at least an HEQ5 mount was required. For imaging you really are going to need something like an EQ6.

This is the challenge with these big achromat refractors - mounting steadily them will cost more than the scope did by some margin !

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, John said:

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I owned the very similar Meade AR152 /1200 some time ago. It is a pretty substantial scope and for visual observing I felt that at least an HEQ5 mount was required. For imaging you really are going to need something like an EQ6.

This is the challenge with these big achromat refractors - mounting steadily them will cost more than the scope did by some margin !

I second John here!.. I have the Bresser 127L, great scope and sits well on my HEQ5. But once you start adding heavy eyepieces, diagonals, finder and so on.. that's it!, I then feel it's maxed out the comfy weight carry. So an AR152 would 100% need a EQ6 to enjoy the scope fully.

Yes you could maybe get away with an HEQ5, but I'm sure it may get annoying with regards to shakes & wobbles. EQ6's do come up in the second hand market.. Congrats on the new scope mind!

Best Rob

Edited by Rob
  • Thanks 1

Hi all ,Thanks for the welcome and the reply ,

Ya thats what  I was frightened of cheap telescope turning out to be not so cheap :). Think I will have  go for the EQ6, is it worth looking for a second hand one or am i just buying someone else's problems?

Once again thanks for the welcome . Its great that there's people  like you willing to help

Thanks Dermot

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/12/2019 at 16:05, John said:

Sorry that I missed this post Dermot.

I would look out for a pre-owned one in good order. They do crop up quite often.

Hi John , That's what I plan on doing ,is there any good places to keep an eye on other than ebay?