SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

IC 405, The Flaming Star Nebula

Hallingskies

From earlier in the month, an HaRGB compilation acquired using my Esprit 100/Atik 460/Avalon fast reverse combo...

spacer.png

20 x 300s RG, 20 x 450s blue, 40 x 300s Ha, preprocessed and registered in Astroart, colour composited and final processing in PaintShop Pro. More details here if you are interested.

Edited by Hallingskies
Typo
  • Like 7

This has been my favourite Xmas photo since I "discover" the flaming star. It reminds me the fireplace in a early Holy Night. 

Your image is detailed and balanced. I like how you make all the shades of the red and how is fading on the background. Stars are almost perfect (Envy this....)

One personal, aesthetic note. With a slightly different framing, maybe a little big angle to include the "flame" (in your photo the right side) the effect of a fire will be more evident.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GiorgioF said:

One personal, aesthetic note. With a slightly different framing, maybe a little big angle to include the "flame" (in your photo the right side) the effect of a fire will be more evident.

Yes, I messed the framing up.  Normally I take a single full length sub and then adjust the framing accordingly.  In this case, I started with blue frames, of which there isn’t too strong a signal.  I could see the main nebulosity was off to one side but for some reason I didn’t adjust it - I think I was too busy tweaking the guiding.   By the time I got the first sequence run finished I was too far in to change the framing as clear nights are a rare thing these days.  Lesson learned.

1 hour ago, Hallingskies said:

Yes, I messed the framing up.  Normally I take a single full length sub and then adjust the framing accordingly.  In this case, I started with blue frames, of which there isn’t too strong a signal.  I could see the main nebulosity was off to one side but for some reason I didn’t adjust it - I think I was too busy tweaking the guiding.   By the time I got the first sequence run finished I was too far in to change the framing as clear nights are a rare thing these days.  Lesson learned.

I know what you mean. Last night, rare good sky but humidity like rain, I trusted to much the first two frames O3 and let setup go...

The anti dew was not connected to the power. Three hours just trash....

• Haha 1