Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Unusually rainy? Met Office Autumn 2019 Rainfall Stats

Ships and Stars

Seem unusually rainy?  It's not your imagination! Interesting rainfall distribution stats released from Met Office.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/press-office/news/weather-and-climate/2019/2019-autumn-and-november-stats

Western/Northern Scotland well below average - many other places - well above.

Costa del Ullapool anyone?

Rainfall avg Autumn 2019.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Carbon Brush said:

As a resident of the big dark blue area. Yes I agree!

The average days of sunshine map is telling as well. Devon and Cornwall well below. NE Scotland worse than usual and cloud and precipitation, but not as bad as some have it! I guess to be fair, the west coast of Scotland gets a lot more rain and cloud than we normally do here around Aberdeen, but I wonder how much exactly...

The chart tallies with my anecdotal experience.  We live quite close to the brown blob in Southern Scotland and it does feel like it's been a bit drier than normal.  We're about 220m asl in Upper Clydesdale and the river is low for the time of year.

Yet my daughter at university in Aberdeen, complains about getting soaked through on her recent field trips.  Youth eh?

I have a feeling the winter will make up for it - it usually does, and there is an active weather system due in a couple of days.

What's notable however, is the brown areas are uplands: Lakeland, Southern Uplands and NW Highlands, so, drier than normal may be somewhat relative. 

It's also notable that we haven't yet had an autumnal storm yet. Been quite calm generally.  I think there's a met office weather warning issued for later this week, so maybe things are about to change?