NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Polar alignment - Sharpcap

Hello,

I could really do with some help - somewhat of a beginner and the learning curve is a bit steep!!

I am about to do my first shot using a new mount (Iexios 100-PMC8) with a ZWO guiding camera - setting everything up has been quite simple and I have the software (SharpCap Pro and Explorer Scientific Explorer Stars). But hers the thing!!

What order do I need to run the software to align to Polar and then track objects? I must admit to be very confused as to whether I just use SharpCap once I have the mount physically aligned to the polar north, and then run SharpCap Polar alignment routine, or do I have to align using the Explorer Stars software and then Sharp Cap.

Any help would be most appreciated!!

Thanks

Miko!

Edited by Miko_Skye

I think the confusion here is that polar alignment aligns the mount to the earth rotation and the explorer start aligns the mounts pointing system to the sky for pointing and location accuracy.

Run polar alignment first as this will only need you to point to NCP and will use any stars available then run your star alignment.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

• Like 1

That does make sense - thanks :)

So if I get this right, use SharpCap to polar align and then ExplorerStars to find objects and have the mount track them.

Now I just need clear skies to try it all out.

Really appreciate the help !!

19 minutes ago, Miko_Skye said:

use SharpCap to polar align and then ExplorerStars to find objects and have the mount track them

Yep that's correct.

Don't forget if you strip down your gear every night and remove the guide cam from its finder scope to run calibration and a darks library in PHD (if this is what you are using).

8 minutes ago, spillage said:

Yep that's correct.

Don't forget if you strip down your gear every night and remove the guide cam from its finder scope to run calibration and a darks library in PHD (if this is what you are using).

If i understand correctly, I dont think I need to usr phd. I am using the ZWO for guiding only - imaging is on a dslr. So I have to do darks on the dlsr? That is the next bit of learning....lights, darks, bias!!!