Modded 60D Filter Confusion

AndyThilo

Hi

So I self modded my 60D, removing the filter (the one between the clear filter and the actual sensor), pic below. However I want to get a clip-in. Looking at  Astronomik, do I need the CLS or the CLS CCD? I think I've removed the IR filter, so I should get the CCD version? 

Rather confused as to what I've removed and what I need haha. Alternatively the SVBONY CLS or UHC filters are half the price, but I believe I need IR Cut to stop star bloating?

Or do I just need the CLS (non CCD version), so confused, please help lol.

Cheers

Andy

75418184_10157803745249295_5556012119792549888_o.jpg

Hello,

you only need the CLS version and NOT the CCD, canon cameras have two filters in them, the reason for leaving the second one in place, is because it does have very good IR cut already, as you say needed for imaging,  and acts as a dust protector, so you don’t need another, the only difference between the CLS and CLS CCD is the later has IR cut too....

The filter you removed did have IR cut, but it also cut much of the Ha signal and so that’s why it’s removed....HTH 😀👍

Edited by WanderingEye
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AndyThilo said:

Ah ok that makes sense now, I didn't realise the clear filter left in place had IR cut. I've ordered this (before I read your reply), assume that double the IR cut won't hurt?

https://www.365astronomy.com/optolong-cls-ccd-filter-for-canon-eos-aps-c-cameras.html

It should t hurt, but it’s unnecessary.. 😀    

The one you removed is a colour correction filter which reduces the red response.

The front, remaining dust shake/ anti alias filter does a good job as a IR reject filter.

I removed BOTH these filters to extend the Spectral response for spectroscopy.

• Like 1