NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What do I do with the barlow lens

Hi guys, got a spanking new skymax 102 synscan yesterday and spent last night and today staring at all the different pieces. Baring in mind I've never even looked through a telescope in my life before I was pleased to be able, with the aid of pictures from the vendors website, to get the diagonal mirror thing and one of the eyepieces into place.

So I've got the thing pointed at a distant telegraph pole and I've lined up the sighter scope so I've obviously got those bits in the right place, trouble is I can't figure out where I'm supposed to attach the x2 barlow lens. It doesn't seem to mention it in the manual, probably assuming that it's a stupid thing to have to mention.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Like I say, never used a telescope before but I can tell I'm really going to get into it.

By the way, anyone thinking of purchasing, I'd recommend first light optics. Nice bunch of people, nice price, fast service. Can't ask for anymore than that :D

A barlow lens slides into the slot where your eyepiece goes.

So, you remove your eyepiece (probably need to unscrew the tightening screw), insert the barlow in its place then insert the eyepiece back into the barlow. (the barlow lens doubles the magnification of your eypiece)

Welcome to the telescope team!

The Barlow lenses is an extra and can be added infront of the eyepiece to increase the magnification. The X2 means it will double the magnification when used.

Try it while observing the moon; you'll see the difference!

Archived