SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Wizard Nebula a bit late for Halloween!

assouptro

I started late on this, Ngc 7380 in Cepheus also known as the wizard nebula (for its shape) so I haven’t had as long on it as I would have liked. I also had equipment issues, I was covering my scope standing on a chair when I lost my balance and ended up grappling the scope and mount in an effort to prevent a fall! I knocked my alignment out and May have put a strain on gears or bearings? 
whatever happened, I ended up struggling to guide as faithfully as before the slip, I’m not sure whether it was down to seeing or if I will need to strip my mount?! 
 Anyway! I managed to get 7hrs ha but only 3.5hrs oii and 3hrs sii 

calibrated and integrated in APP tweaked in ps (high pass filter, selective colour) then sharpened a tad more on my phone with ps express. 
I’d love to get some more time on this but I will probably have to wait till next year now as it’s disappearing over my roof 

thanks for looking and clear skies 

Bryan

678E1B7D-C5EC-4680-B527-5A117002B72A.jpeg

• Like 12

Nice work Bryan.  Your incident is my worst nightmare.  I hope the mount is ok.  It is interesting to see an image which hasn't had the colour blitzed.  This clearly shows the dominence of the Ha but with the OIII clearly showing through as well.  This gives a clearer understanding of the gaseous make up of the nebula.

5 hours ago, MartinB said:

Nice work Bryan.  Your incident is my worst nightmare.  I hope the mount is ok.  It is interesting to see an image which hasn't had the colour blitzed.  This clearly shows the dominence of the Ha but with the OIII clearly showing through as well.  This gives a clearer understanding of the gaseous make up of the nebula.

Thanks Martin 

I did produce a more colourful option but preferred this understated version as it looked more natural to my eye. 
I have purchased new bearings for the worm gears and plan to strip it, clean it and re-grease it when I get the time. I was surprised at how much I knocked it out of polar alignment even though it’s fastened down tight on a permanent (home built) pier. 

cheers 

Bryan