Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sky simulator for ASCOM released.

han59

For those who are interested, I have released a free sky simulator for ASCOM. This program can be used to test your (Windows) image capturing program, test sequences, test centering using plate solving, test the focusing tool, for demonstrations  or for software  development.  For the sky simulation it uses either online deepsky survey images or a build-in planetarium program.

Download and forum:  https://sourceforge.net/projects/sky-simulator/

Feedback is welcome.

Han

Sky simulator for ASCOM using online DSS images or an artificial sky. The camera simulator will show a "deep sky survey" or artificial image based on the mount and focuser position. The image will be blurred/defocused based on the focuser position. In imaging programs CCDCiel/NINA/APT/SGP you should select the camera "Sky Simulator" and the mount "Telescope Simulator for .NET". The program will download images and feed the camera simulator with these. Set the image size in "Sky Simulator" the same as in the program. And select as image file documents\image.jpg. With this simulator you can test focuser routine, centering using plate solving and sequences.

Some screenshots:

Setup screen:

image1.png.483cf5d30fd903a94fa2f3171cc99064.png

Setup of the programs:

sky_simulator.png.dda8ba27f4577428649260af48eb2971.png

DSS downloaded image:

1616935304_imageDSS.thumb.jpg.8f6a7682f19eed5087c29cc45b7199b3.jpg

Artificial image in focus:

835585509_imageinfocus.thumb.jpg.a994f5cfc057aea701feadeefb11f10e.jpg

Artificial image out of focus:

2126322888_imageoutoffocus.thumb.jpg.cae1e8e6def06da64ef66714a6a4e87c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...

FYI, the ASCOM Sky simulator version 1.8 has been released. The default star database goes now up to magnitude 14.  Improved artificial stars.  Deepsky labels can be switched off.  The image dimensions are now set at one place in the program.

Han

That could be an option but will require some significant amount of work. Interface should be INDI. There is already an existing INDI sky simulator using the GSC star catalog, but I have never tried it.  Is there something to improve?

Note that I just fixed a small problem with the "go default" button and it is just uploaded as Sky simulator 1.9.

Han

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Awesome software for testing! I’m testing with SharpCap/APT and Sky simulator ver. 0.1.15.  When using with Focus simulator, Sky simulator GUI freezes a lot (hardware – i5/7200, 8GB RAM, Win 10, CPU usage is 25-30%). Without Focus simulator, Sky simulator GUI is more responsive.

Yes it is CPU intensive:

• Keep the number of pixels low something like 1280x960 pixels. (disconnect the ASCOM "sky camera"  first before changing)
  • The artificial sky option works often faster then the deepsky images downloads.
  • Keep the exposure time at few seconds or more.

Han

Edited by han59

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, Han. Lowering image resolution for values you proposed helped a lot. And sure, artificial sky works ten times faster than downloads. At the end of the day I was able to test and simulate everything I need before the clear skies (PHD2, APT with Goto++, EQMOD).

Good to know. For the record version 0.1.16 "Sky Simulator for Ascom" has been released fixing a bug. Reading a subsection of the camera image didn't work (typical used for focusing) but has been fixed. 

Han

• 1 month later...

FYI, below a screenshot of the latest Sky Simulator for ASCOM version 0.1.18 in combination with PHD2. It introduces a cyclic RA error of  20"over 5 minutes and seeing error of 3".

Han

1357691766_sky_simulator_phd2guiding.thumb.png.514d3b244c1a0155793b214d789c91a8.png

Edited by han59
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hi Han,

I'm having an issue with phd2 and sky simulator while calibrating. The calibration starts going west correctly. But just when it start going east the mount jumps west by a significant amount of degrees. I cannot find what can be provoking that.

By the way. Amazing job!!!!

I found the solution. This happened when setting guiding rate to 100 in GS Server. Between 0 and .90 works perfect.

Thank you.

Edited by jccarracedom

Fantastic software!! I have downloaded and tried it.  THANK YOU SO MUCH. 
I just noticed that I can only see very bright DSO like M13 Hercules Cluster.  Even M101 Pinwheel Galaxy, M42 Orion Nebula, etc will not show.  I tried to increase exposure time or increase gain but still no image showing.  Can you please give some advise? 

Edited by JOSEPHUY0420

There is a 30.000 object deep sky database included. The object outlines are plotted if selected. See screenshot below. Select objects or all.

The exposure time doesn't do anything at the moment. Unfortunately the Ascom Sky Simulator camera reads the images produced by the program only in 8 bit. That give doesn't give much range for playing with exposure intensity without compromising the solvability of the image. So for the moment the exposure time is ignored.

You could try the deep-sky-survey download option but that could be a little slow. Keep the image size in pixels small or be patient. Use here exposure times of 10 seconds or more since downloading of the images takes time an the image should be ready when the camera is read out.

Han

skysimulator0.png.45c5242b8bcb0718c131950c546e0206.png

M42 view with object selected.skysimulator1.thumb.png.9f14699f15b0b6f12d46d125c4768451.png