NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Getting a good AZ GTI

Adrian_P

Hi all. I haven’t posted for a while but would appreciate some views about an upcoming potential purchase. I currently use a William Optics 80mm fluorite refractor on an old Skywatcher Synscan GOTO mount. The one with the cheap aluminium tripod. I’m looking to get a new mount soon and the AZ GTI seems the obvious choice. I’ll eventually ditch the tripod but, for now, am just looking for the mount. Of course, I’ve read how good a mount it is, but one not without its QA problems. So, if I do get one, I was wondering if there are some immediate checks I can make to see if I’ve got a decent one. Clearly, I should wait for first light to be definitive but is it possible to tell I’ve got an obvious lemon during initial unboxing?

thanks

Adrian

Hi Adrian, as banjaxed said, FLO will sort you out !

Things to check ... normal complaints are backlash (wobble in gearing) - wifi unstable (take outside away from your or neighbours wifi) - power problems (the connector on the internal battery holder is loose / spins)

Are you visual or imaging ? either way I'd update the firmware when you get it.

Good luck with it from a fellow Essex boy.

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much both. I was probably going to get it from FLO but, I guess, even the best supplier can't open and test every single item before sending it out the door. So it's really good to get a short things to check over on first arrival. In terms of observing, I'm strictly a visual kinda guy. I have no interest in imaging whatsoever. And seeing as my opportunities for observing are quite limited, I thought it would be a really good choice to replace my old GOTO mount.

Thanks again both, and regards from the very South West corner of Essex!