NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dec not moving

mark skelton

Friday night I went out got every thing powered up laptop connected to my setup, got cdc and apt started and connected. When I selected m27 on apt clicked on goto the r.a. moved but dec did not which meant the scope still pointed north. I restarted everything tried the same with cdc select m27  again the same only the r.a. moved. At first I thought it was mount related but after another restart I started eqmod got my gamepad control and checked both axis and both r.a. and dec moved which lead me to think it's software related. Any help/ ideas on what I can do to sort this out.

When moving with gamepad did you do it at the fastest velocity?

When slewing could the stepper motor be stalling because it is at full speed? I admit you would probably know something was wrong if this happened because the motors are quite noisy when they stall but it was just a thought.

Steve

1 hour ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

When moving with gamepad did you do it at the fastest velocity?

When slewing could the stepper motor be stalling because it is at full speed? I admit you would probably know something was wrong if this happened because the motors are quite noisy when they stall but it was just a thought.

Steve

it was at full (no,4 )speed, but I never had this happen before

Only time I had this was after a bearing replacement and it would stall when slewing but I could jog the axis okay at speeds only just below full speed (messed about with speeds in EQMOD and it was only at absolute top speed it stalled. It was due to putting too much pre-load on the taper bearings. 

What I was wondering was if you had jog speed set lower than full speed that's why it might have worked but not when slewing but sounds a different issue. It does sound like a software issue but very strange.

I am not sure what this will prove but in APT you can type a position to slew to manually.

image.png.65d6805abf2db874412a1d78c8eb45e8.png

Then you could type the current position into Ra so that doesn't move and type a position to go to in Dec then press GoTo. Then only Dec should move, in fact is should be no different to when jogging with gamepad. If that fails to work then looks like the issue is between APT and EQMOD. Like I say doesn't help a lot but at least you can sort issue out during daylight (hopefully).

Steve