Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Barlow and DSLR pointless or not?

I use a 2x 2" barlow for imaging sometimes and a focus is achievable  but that's on a refractor with a long focuser range. I presume you're using your  200p Newtonian? which probably has a more limited focus travel. If the barlow is pushing the focus point further out you might be able to use an extension tube?

A suggestion before spending on an extension tube.

In daylight, point your scope to the horizon. Offer the DSLR camera + barlow up to the focus tube and move the camera by hand. Use live view or a separate screen.

If you see that to obtain focus the camera is in mid air, you have demonstrated that you need an extension tube and you have an idea of the length.

If you only need a millimetre or two. Is there enough space to pull the main mirror back a little?

I have had the opposite problem (on different scopes) and had to lift the main mirror or swap to a low profile focusser.

Hope this helps,

David.