Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mounting C11 edge on EQ6R-pro

Hello, I have an 11" hyperstar I can get from a friend almost for free, so I'm currently thinking about getting a C11 edge HD as my next scope, the thing is getting a mount for that doesn't seem very cheap.

I could get a second hand EQ6-R pro for around 1000$, which is a fairly good price for such mount, I'm wondering if this mount would be good enough to support the C11 edge HD + hyperstar.

According to the specs, the EQ6R payload is 44 lbs(which is around 20kg), the C11 Edge HD weight is 28 lbs (which is a bit below 13 kg), the hyperstar weight is 2.1 lbs(a bit less than 1 kg), ZWO camera which weights 1.1 lbs(~500g), the guidingscope + guiding camera which weights around 1.3 lbs(~600g), totaling at approximately 32.5 lbs or 14.7kg.

Now I've never really got to read anything about it anywhere, but I assume that simply being below the specs payload doesn't actually means that the tracking will be good, so this is where my actual question comes, would the EQ6R-pro be enough to support the C11 Edge HD + hyperstar for DSO imaging?

I was actually fairly sure about getting a good refractor, but this is not a general thread about which scope to get, but rather a very specific thread regarding mounting the C11 edge on the EQ6R-pro, so please try to keep it specific and not recommend other setups for now, since I currently have an awesome deal about the equipment listed above it's something I'm starting to consider. When the time comes I'm sure I'll open another thread about which scope I should get.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by msacco

4 minutes ago, Merlin66 said:

I successfully run a C11 @ f10, with four cameras(!), spectrograph, eFinder etc etc on an NEQ6pro for spectroscopy.

Needs five counterweights to give good balance. No drama, no issues.

Mainsail Obs 001s.jpg

The EQ6R pro is considered better than the NEQ6 pro if I'm not mistaken, right?

Also, I can see that you're not using a regular tripod, that could make a difference isn't it? If you were in my shoes, would you feel comfortable mounting the C11 edge with hyperstar on a EQ6R pro? Would you also recommend that? Or you'd recommend getting something better?

Thanks for the comment :)

3 minutes ago, Merlin66 said:

The NEQ6pro has been my work horse for the past eight years.

I've no experience with the NEQ6R, so can't comment.

There are obviously other capable mounts out there, maybe others can comment.

Of course there are, but I won't be able to get them for such amazing price :) I'll wait for more replies, thanks.