NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

BIG DECISION ... Moving into Astrophotography

Greetings:

I have been behind a Celestron AVX 8" SCT for a number of years, its pretty good for just looking around but, my real desire is Astrophotography. So many systems to choose from and so many decisions that one becomes a subject of Information-Overload. So, I have been studying equipment for an Astrophotography System but, I am not firmly fixed on specific hardware. I have narrowed down the field some and been looking closer at an iOptron CEM 40 or 60 Mount Head and an APO from Sky-Watcher, the 100mm Esprit ED Triplet Refractor. 

I would like to hear from those on SGL who have this equipment and get some Pro & Con feedback from them. 

Regards,

Don 

Edited by FOTOGRAFO

Nice set-up that would be Don, I don't actually have either but am looking at the CEM 60 in the next week and I do have a decent APO as good as the Sky-watcher. I stayed under 1000mm F/L which was advice given but have desire to try my Meade 12 inch with flatener at 1920mm. I personally found it a steep learning curve and I am not there yet, people on site have been very helpful but I have not found it easy, many cable problems and a camera that was faulty did not help.

Good luck.

It's worth remembering that the camera, optics and mount all work together as one unit in AP. The camera matters because a) it defines the pixel scale which then defines the guiding precision needed and b) its chip size determines the size of the corrected field required of the optics.

Olly