NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Noob - jumping in head first

Hello, CJ from NH, USA here.  I have been looking to get into a bit of star gazing, interested in deep space viewing - completely fascinated by it.  Possibly do some astrophotography.

SO after some research I came to the conclusion I would get a 10" dobsonian reflector.  Seemed like the best bang for the buck.

I know me, when I get into a hobby I can't start little and work my way up, I want to get as good as I can from the start because I know I will be unsatisfied and just continue to buy better and better.  Rather than become frustrated,  just get better equipment from the start.

Basically if I'm going to be a bear, I'm going to be a grizzly.

So I'm thinking of spending around $500-600, figure I can get a decent set up in that range.  I'm mechanically inclined so collimation and set up will not deter me.

So after this research I happen to stumble across a person in town that is relocating and selling a Meade LX-5 12" Schmidt-cassegrain f/10 for under $1,000.  In pristine condition includes everything and several additional add-ons.

So my question is ,  would it be worthwhile to jump on this ?  or am I throwing money away for a marginally greater experience?  Just not sure being new to this that in the future once I learn more would I end up there anyway?

S

Edited by CJinNH

Hi @CJinNH and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

Dobsonian's are the 'best bang for your buck', but may not be suitable for astro-photography, unless doing solar... (with full aperture solar filter), lunar or planetary photography up to Saturn.

If financial funds permit, get the SCT as well?

Unfortunately, no 'scope does all in this hobby.

Maybe an Explore Scientific 10” dob as a first step. A very good dob but unlike most dobs this one has the tube mounted using tube rings so it could be fitted to an EQ mount later on by simply bolting on a dovetail. They also do an 8” that wouldn’t need as heavy duty an EQ mount.

https://optcorp.com/products/es-firstlight-10-dobsonian

https://optcorp.com/products/es-firstlight-8-dobsonian

Edited by johninderby

The 12" f/10 will be very good on objects like smallish galaxies, globulars and planetary nebulae, not to mention planets and double stars. Also worth considering that it isn't a dob, its forte isn't wide fields views but instead, a more compact scope relative to its aperture and the ability to give more magnification with the same eyepiece. The SCT will possibly take a little longer to cool, maybe also to set up and may need protection against dew. It might also be slightly less sharp and perhaps give a little less contrast than a dob of similar aperture. Needless to say, it is no slouch and the tracking mount will allow for comfortable nudge free observing at high magnification and for less than a $1,000 I think that's a good buy.

It's tricky to know where one will go in this hobby. There are so many differing factors to take into account as one grows that it's almost impossible to say where one will end up. If you wanted an idea of what to expect visually, you can't go wrong checking out sketches by extremely patient observers. It might also be worth your time checking out posts here and on Cloudy Nights reviewing or contemplating 12" SCTs.

For what's it worth, if I were to start all over again, I'd purchase a secondhand 10" dob along with 2 or 3 wide-ish field eyepieces, a Barlow, Cheshire collimator, pocket Sky Atlas and an ironing chair or drum stool. It's as easy to set up as a 4" frac, will cool down faster than an SCT, easier to collimate, have less problems with dew and will probably come in at around a grand. I feel this kind of set up ought to keep you busy for a good number of years and if astronomy isn't your thing, will be pretty easy to sell on again.

Wish you all the luck :thumbright: