M31 - My First LRGB Image

Buzzard75

This is my second attempt at M31, but its my first ever attempt to image using mono and LRGB filters. I did narrowband a few weeks ago on NGC 7822, but hadn't yet done any broadband mono imaging. M31 just seemed like a fitting target for a first run. My first attempt at imaging M31 was about a year ago using a Canon 750d, an EF75-300mm lens and a iOptron Skyguider Pro. I've since upgraded. This time around I was using a ZWO ASI183MM Pro, a ZWO EFW and LRGB filters with a William Optics Redcat 51 all mounted on an iOptron CEM40EC.  Completely different ballgame from last time. Almost an entirely new sport for that matter. The results are light years (pun intended) beyond what I had done previously. I'd have to look back at the exact numbers, but it's approximately 1.5 hours of integration with 180-second exposures each in LRGB. I don't remember the exact count for each filter, but it was around 6-8 exposures for each after throwing out a couple for trails and a tree that started getting in the way. Stacking (lights, darks, flats and dark flats) and processing was done in PixInsight with a little touchup in Photoshop at the end. I haven't quite figured out every nuance to PixInsight yet as it's also still new to me so there's still a couple things I do in Photoshop. Overall, I'm very happy with it and it's probably some of my best work so far. Enjoy!

M31_PS (2).jpg

4 hours ago, blinky said:

Really nice image, maybe have a wee look at colour balance as I think its maybe a tad red bit that's being picky!  Lovely image, really!

Thanks! Maybe this one is a bit more to your liking. I struggled with the color quite a bit. I tried playing with the curves in PixInsight, but couldn't get it quite right. When I put it in Photoshop to tweak a couple of things, I did try and play with levels, but it just lost a lot of detail. I'm honestly happy with both of these considering where I was a year ago with astrophotography. Cheers!

M31_PS2.jpg

18 hours ago, Buzzard75 said:

Thanks! Maybe this one is a bit more to your liking. I struggled with the color quite a bit. I tried playing with the curves in PixInsight, but couldn't get it quite right. When I put it in Photoshop to tweak a couple of things, I did try and play with levels, but it just lost a lot of detail. I'm honestly happy with both of these considering where I was a year ago with astrophotography. Cheers!

M31_PS2.jpg

Yep, that's better, cracking image! Would be proud of that

Archived