NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC7023 - Reprocess in PI

fwm891

I've just changed over to an ASI294MC Pro OSC cooled camera and I'm finding that my previous although basic PI workflow just wasn't working well enough for the 294MC. I've had a Warren Keller book sat on my bookshelf for a while now (Inside PixInsight) which I've dabbled with in the past but yesterday I decided that I would go through warrens workflow for OSC cameras and see how things turn out.

Well I have to say the image has improved many in the earlier calibration stages, and some of the latter I found detrimental so I've ended up with my own version of the workflow.

I need to try it out on other data now. I'm expecting things will change depending on the subject and may end up with a 'set' of workflows rather than a single one.

Hope you like

NGC7023_Final.jpg

• Like 11

28 minutes ago, sloz1664 said:

That's a wonderful image Francis. Do you fully process in PI. Including calibration?

Wouldn't mind a sneeky look at your workflow 👀

Steve

Hi Steve - The ngc7023 image is completely worked through in PI. Here is my WF for that image:

Blink (to weed out the bad subs), Debayer, Cosmetic Correction (lights to respective darks), Star Align, Integrate, Dynamic crop, ABE or DBE, Background neutralisation, colour calibration, Multiscale Linear Transform (mild dose to remove background noise), Histogram Transformation (to set back point and some colour adjustment), Colour saturation (tend here to push the saturation high across the range), Histogram Transform (here I try to neutralise the oversaturation), Colour saturation (reduce saturation levels to normal and make minor adjustments to the saturation curve for specific colours), SCNR if needed, Histogram Transform and save as....

However after doing that on the M20 image I had to open in PS to make final corrections using Select / Colour Range to increase saturation on the central nebula area ....

Francis

M20_294MC_Final.jpg

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, fwm891 said:

Hi Steve - The ngc7023 image is completely worked through in PI. Here is my WF for that image:

Blink (to weed out the bad subs), Debayer, Cosmetic Correction (lights to respective darks), Star Align, Integrate, Dynamic crop, ABE or DBE, Background neutralisation, colour calibration, Multiscale Linear Transform (mild dose to remove background noise), Histogram Transformation (to set back point and some colour adjustment), Colour saturation (tend here to push the saturation high across the range), Histogram Transform (here I try to neutralise the oversaturation), Colour saturation (reduce saturation levels to normal and make minor adjustments to the saturation curve for specific colours), SCNR if needed, Histogram Transform and save as....

However after doing that on the M20 image I had to open in PS to make final corrections using Select / Colour Range to increase saturation on the central nebula area ....

Francis

M20_294MC_Final.jpg

That looks pretty straight forward, thanks for the WF. Great images. I recently aquired the ASI294MC Pro too and I'm still trying to figure out how to use it. I'm using it with my TS65q at 420mm focal lenght. Planning a trip to a dark location tonight and I wanna see what I get from it as the shots from my light polluted back garden are not very good, they are ok but I would like more out of it. Hoping to shoot the dark shark nebula and add some more to my NGC7023 and the cocoon with the IDAS filter.

What gain and offset settings do you use? I use gain 200 and offset 10 when using a Triband or Ha filter and gain 120 offset 30 with my IDAS filter but I'm not sure they are right.

Here's a couple of my photos.

These are shot with  the triband.LRM_EXPORT_56697223443752_20190817_2043559131.thumb.jpeg.339a36a3919a7f54d12ddf091c2f2e7a.jpeg

LRM_EXPORT_299234778472313_20190813_090123293.thumb.jpeg.312701d2321bce40c37afd85ff92b30c.jpeg

And ngc7023 with the IDAS

LRM_EXPORT_38222338970005_20190817_121841401.thumb.jpeg.29c23a2539de54a9585efecaaac71bf8.jpeg

Emil

Hi Emil - nice shots there.

I shoot with a UV / IR cut filter as close to the sensor cover glass as I can. I use 122 gain and 15 offset with the 295MC. I have to admit I haven't been very adventurous with gain and offset numbers. 122 & 15 I chose from the graph data on ZWO's website.

• Thanks 1