August 25-26, 2019: Some frustration, but also two comets bagged, and many DSO revisited

The Skyhound Comet Chasing site lists no fewer than 4 comets currently visible in small scopes, all fairly low in the east at the moment, so I decided to go to my favourite out of town observing spot, on the dike near Aduarderzijl. Skies looked quite clear overhead, but there was some haze lower down in the east, which made life difficult for my comet hunting efforts. I first scouted around to assess the skies with my 16x80 binoculars. M101 was quite easy, but I have seen better at this location. Higher up, NGC 7000 was easy, which boded well, as were M13 and M92 (which are hardly a stern test for the sky conditions).  I had a look at where comet C/2018 N2 (ASASSN) should be in Aries, but no luck.

I then set up the C8 on the dike, and using the 14x70 finder quickly found the right location, but the comet remained elusive.  I decided to switch to C/2018 W2 (Africano), which was a lot higher up, and was predicted to be brighter by now. After some searching, I spotted a faint glow where the comet should be. Very diffuse, but definitely there, also when switching from the Nagler 31mm T5 to the 22m T4, to be sure internal reflections weren't the cause of the glow. I then switched back to Aries, to hunt for both C/2018 N2 (ASASSN) and 260P McNaught, initially to no avail. I switched between the 31T5, 22T4 and Vixen LVW 42mm a couple of time, when I noticed a very faint glow very near the location for C/2018 N2 (ASASSN). Switching EPs made it clear that it wasn't some internal reflection, but it was very hard indeed, even in averted vision. McNaught refused to show itself, despite several more attempts.  There was a small asterism roughly in the location were it was predicted to be, so maybe this confounded my attempts to spot it. The light haze and relatively low altitude didn't help. By this time the brightest of the lot, C/2017 T2 (PANSTARRS),was above the horizon , but the moon also poked its head over the edge, so my attempts at that one were aborted soon.

I then briefly looked at M81 and M82, which fit neatly into the FOV of the 31T4 Nagler. Awesome sight. I also had a quick look at nearby NGC 3077. Finally, I swung over to M13, M57, and M27 to round off the session. Fingers crossed for clearer skies to back those other two comets 

Very determined effort in that comet chasing session Michael. Interesting that you'd gained some success, but as you imply requiring full observational capacity to have a sense of conviction. A useful reference if anyone else is out there considering looking. The murk certainly did hang low, in my hill top location to, good vistas from a lofty vantage point, though not unlike your session at the sounds of things, switching to seek other objects as part of a plan B,C, D whatever became necessary. Of course there is always something stimulating, familiar or otherwise to look for. 

Great report of a session with a clear plan and a determined effort to see it through. I think comets can be tough, I've had a hit rate of finding/confirming less than half of the ones I've tried to see.

Archived