NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Synscan wifi and no response both axes problems

MartinB

I fairly recently purchased a new EQM35-PRO mount and it has been working fine.  I decided to try the synscan wifi set up.  My phone connected to the synscan wifi without any problem but neither the Synscan pro app or Sky Safari could find the device.  I checked on line and believe I have all data entered correctly including port number and connect to network in the synscan connection settings.  So, having wasted a couple of hours of my life I decided to revert to the hand controller for this evenings anticipated observing only to get the message CAUTION! BOTH AXED....NO RESPONSE!  Lovely!  I can scroll through the menus ok but can't perform any sort of alignment or activate the motors with the hand controller.  I was using a lithium battery pack but changing to a 13.8v power supply makes no difference.  

I have had a browse around online and have found another person who had experienced the same sequence of events but there was no info as to how he resolved the issue.  

Right now my mount is non functional!

I could try updating the firmware but I'm in a hole and think I should probably stop digging!

Can anyone offer me any guidance?

The common causes of this error message are:

Leads put in wrong place by user.

Poor connection with communication leads.

Lead failure. 

Mount board fried.

Incomplete firmware update of motor controllers.

• Like 1

Thanks Jambouk.  The leads are correctly placed and all was fine immediately prior to taking out the and controller and replacing with the wifi gizmo.  I am wondering whether the firmware may have been corrupted for some reason  or whether the wifi has somehow damaged the mount board.  Would it make sense to try a firmware update?

I don’t think a handset firmware update will help - but maybe worth a try.

I suspect you can’t do a motor controller update if it can’t communicate with the motors.

Do you have access to local astronomers in a club to call on help for?

James

• Like 1

On 30/08/2019 at 22:00, jambouk said:

I don’t think a handset firmware update will help - but maybe worth a try.

I suspect you can’t do a motor controller update if it can’t communicate with the motors.

Do you have access to local astronomers in a club to call on help for?

James

I have Flo to call on for help.  It may be down to connecting the cable whilst the controller was turned on.  They are going to have a look at it.

The wrong cable between the Wifi and the mount or its a faulty Wifi product. 

This has probably then caused the 12v voltage  ,supplied by the mount, to short the motherboard - result dead motherboard.  Although I would have expected the Wifi dongle to be dead too !

Hope I am 100% totally wrong 😞

On 04/09/2019 at 09:58, stash_old said:

The wrong cable between the Wifi and the mount or its a faulty Wifi product. 

This has probably then caused the 12v voltage  ,supplied by the mount, to short the motherboard - result dead motherboard.  Although I would have expected the Wifi dongle to be dead too !

Hope I am 100% totally wrong 😞

I suspect you are right!