NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dew On Guide Scope - Can I Use a Dew-Not Wrap On IT ?

So the warm weather finally broke here in Kentucky and I was all set to try and capture more light frames of Andromeda -  which I started as my first "project" last weekend in some wonderful conditions - or so I thought.

Unfortunately the humidity that had accompanied the warm spell for the past week had remained. I have a single Dew-Not wrap on the main scope - and had not issues. But after a while I starting having issues with PHD and the captured images from my DSLR on the main scope showed poor guiding.  After realizing what was going on, I started wiping the quide scope lens (Orion 50 mm Mini) in-between captures but on 5 minute exposures it was a losing battle. So it turned out to not be a very productive night.

This may be a silly question - but can I put a Dew-Not wrap on the miniguider without damaging it ?  

In case the brand name is unfamilar - here 's a link to the manufacturer - https://www.dew-not.com/dew-not-desc-01.htm 

I have a Dew-Not controller that has four outputs and I'm only using one for the main scope right now.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Rich

Yes definitely, you just need one the right size for the guidescope.  I use one on mine all the time.

My guider is the little gold tube, with the black dew band strap round it.  

spacer.png

Carole 

Edited by carastro

Absolutely... I have dew straps for all of my optics, SCT, refractor, finderscope and a small one for eyepieces with out any damage... the heating is only subtle and OK on all optics... you can also have a small fan gently blowing at the scope, that will keep dew at bay.

• Like 1

Great - I've got three additional Dew-Not warmers coming.  Might as well help keep the finder scope stay clear as well.

For tonight,  if it becomes a problem (dew point is way down compared to yesterday at this time) I will use a fan we have - that is a great suggestion ! 

Thanks all !! 

Rich

• Like 1