Seize Every Opportunity!

cloudsweeper

8.55pm, just a little thin cloud, Jupiter on show - set up the ED80/GoTo, aligned on Jupiter, spotted the Galilean moons in a nice line, two each side.

I checked the GoTo with Albireo - a close pair at x24, but the blue and yellow components stood out beautifully.

Next, Sigma 2523 (Vul) - a matched binary, 6.3" separation.  Just split at x80 - a fine spectacle with other stars nearby.  AV really paid off, easily showing fainter neighbours which otherwise were elusive.  (See image.)

On to the famous Coathanger Asterism, part of Brocchi's Cluster (not actually an open cluster) again in The Fox - the ten bright stars showed the (inverted) shape very well.  Right at its western end lies the dense, elongated open cluster NGC 6802.  I had just the briefest glimpse of this before heavy cloud stopped play after one hour of action.

Session no. 56 this year - short, yes, but no less enjoyable for that!

Doug.

P1070356.JPG

Good work, Doug. Ever the opportunist! I was tired and heading to bed at 11pm last night. Somehow that turned into 1:30am after a couple of hours out with the dob in the garden. Clear skies are hard to ignore. 4 nights observing out of 5 this week!

35 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Good work, Doug. Ever the opportunist! I was tired and heading to bed at 11pm last night. Somehow that turned into 1:30am after a couple of hours out with the dob in the garden. Clear skies are hard to ignore. 4 nights observing out of 5 this week!

Thanks Neil.  Reckon I'm leaving the Dob for searching for fuzzies, and at present I'm having a good time with the 80 frac- a fine little 'scope!  We seem to be doing OK with observation despite all the talk of lousy weather - sure, it could be better, but when there's a slight chance, grab some action!

Doug.

1 hour ago, cotterless45 said:

Welcome to the real world ! Twilight all night and it's binary star fest !

Nick.

Yes Nick - I'm so glad I went down the doubles route some time ago: always more to see, and always interesting or challenging.  I think doubles and lunar are just about my faves right now!

Doug.

Archived