SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A Magical Observing Location.

StarryEyed

The best observing location I have been too. No trees to the south for me this weekend. I won't say any more than it was magical.

http://www.zvjezdano-selo.hr

The car park was packed and people everywhere.

Sun reflected in the harbour of the Croatian city Split.

LRM_EXPORT_11539743529450_20190811_142001720.thumb.jpeg.3bc89107bb45e21a19477dc901cf00c5.jpeg

Saturn Moon Jupiter Antares. Croatian Islands behind a lower ridge to the south.

LRM_EXPORT_11554609826059_20190811_142016587.thumb.jpeg.5c1680786a0d5bd795c3d31f2345b40e.jpeg

Edited by StarryEyed
  • Like 8

They have "16 Meade" for the public but there was a big queue for it. I brought my own 100mm refractor. very clear and stable skies. 

English translated site.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=hr&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=http://www.zvjezdano-selo.hr/&xid=17259,15700021,15700186,15700190,15700256,15700259,15700262,15700265&usg=ALkJrhjYqPBKdNhwbMlYcQghe5gDBRvsHg

Edited by StarryEyed
corrected size of schit.

It's a great place and the whole mountain is magical (for hiking or whatever). I go there every new moon during the non summer season (obviously I'm a local)... Now it's crowded, but outside of tourist season it's not...

With their 16 inch SC (Meade lx200) you can really see a lot there. I especially enjoyed the galaxies in Coma Berenices this spring. I also bring my own scope every time, it's great to have such a place in the vicinity...I hope I'll go there on the next New moon...

I'm glad you like it...

• Like 3

Ignoro

I also visited the Observatory on Hvar.

for anyone interested the link to their website.

http://oh.geof.unizg.hr

I was shown around by Jasa Calogovic who looks after the three telescopes. We got a look at the Zeiss refractors used for solar work and one of the big reflectors the other was in use. The island is also a fantastic location I had a great view of the milky way and the southern horizon the week before.

Croatia amazed me with how good it is for astronomy. With the hills, dark skies and clear to the horizon views into the Adriatic access from Split airport.

Don't want to turn this into some sort of tourism advert. But the fact there are two observatories quite close should be enough for any amature astronomer to consider it a destination for observing or a holiday.

Kevin.

Edited by StarryEyed
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Ignoro said:

I go there every new moon during the non summer season (obviously I'm a local)... 

Envy is never a pretty thing but I bet I'm not the only one feeling it when reading this!!!! 🤪

Glad that someone who enjoys and appreciates it has this opportunity. There- I've turned it into a sentiment that my mother would not be disappointed in! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Whistlin Bob said:

Envy is never a pretty thing but I bet I'm not the only one feeling it when reading this!!!! 🤪

Glad that someone who enjoys and appreciates it has this opportunity. There- I've turned it into a sentiment that my mother would not be disappointed in! 

You know how it is, when I was in London, there was George Benson, Billy Cobham, Queens of the stone age, Eric Clapton, R. Gallagher etc. All in different venues in a few days, that kind of situation doesn't happen here :). When I was younger I would give my organs to see those guys live (now I appreciate my entrails more)... You get some stars and lose some :) 

I guess we all should appreciate what we have :) and share of course :) I'm glad you like our place here, maybe we meet sometime ;)

• Like 1