NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Focuser upgrade question

Ok, so now I have a permanent pier in the garden and get to sit in a comfy chair inside the only thing bugging me now is the focuser on my ED80. The thumb screw shifts focus when tightened. Now do I upgrade the focuser or will adding the zwo auto focuser be the best upgrade

9 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

Ok, so now I have a permanent pier in the garden and get to sit in a comfy chair inside the only thing bugging me now is the focuser on my ED80. The thumb screw shifts focus when tightened. Now do I upgrade the focuser or will adding the zwo auto focuser be the best upgrade

Mine does that too. It's pretty bad shift actually. I can have a FWHM of like 2.3 and lock it off and it shoots up to 4.5. I've been overshooting just to compensate but it's not ideal for getting critical focus is it. My conclusion so far is to get the OVL focuser which I have a thread running about at the moment. Some have suggested finding a used Baader one too. I've seen people mention that a focus motor has solved some of their slipping issues but I'm not really sure how that would do that. I can sometimes spin the knob and the tube doesn't move at all so I can't see how a motor would solve that. 

1 minute ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

Was just reading that thread. I think if the tension is right then the motor works and holds focus. I could be wrong so that's why I posted. Manual focus is such a pain and so last year

Autofocus brilliant wouldn’t be without it 👍