NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

KStars on a MacBook experience ....

Ouroboros

I am trying out KStars on my MacBook. I want to see if I can use it to run my equipment instead of using EQMOD + Cartes du Ciel + PHD2 + EOS BackYard running in Windows7 in a virtual machine on my MacBook. 

So far so good. It's been a bit of a steep learning curve. Nevertheless  I've got it controlling my mount.  It talks to my Canon 450D and my guide camera.  

The specific problem I'm having is getting KStars/EKOS it to work with the gamepad I use to control the mount at the telescope.  

I understand I have to connect the gamepad to the mount in the Device Manager as described here: https://indilib.org/support/tutorials/135-controlling-your-telescope-with-a-joystick.html#h2-go-to-device-manager-under-the-tools-menu-gt-devices

When I do this I get the error message: " ... make sure the package that provides the indi_joystick binary is installed." 

Any suggestions how I do this? 

2 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

indi_joystick

It's included in the latest indilib so it should already be there unless it's a mac specific omission. Can you call it from the command line?

~$ indiserver indi_joystick
2019-08-07T09:37:03: startup: indiserver indi_joystick 

If not, my advice would be to upgrade to the latest indi (I think that's the one you get when you install kstars from here) or if you're brave, build it from the indi source and if still no go, ask on the indi forum.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

Sorry, this is probably a really stupid question, but where do I find the command line dialogue box? Is this in the KStars application somewhere or are you referring to commands run on the Terminal app on Mac? 

... And I have KStars Ver 3.2.2 Build 2019-05-12

The most recent version in your link is Ver 3.3.3

I can't imagine something as basic as a joystick driver would have only just been added. 

Nevertheless it has made me wonder how do you update KStars. I can't find an obvious Update option.  So how are updates achieved? 

PS I only ask this question after much googling as they seem so basic. 

Edited by Ouroboros

run on the Terminal app on Mac? 

Yes.

I can't imagine something as basic as a joystick driver would have only just been added.

It was added with indi 1.7.something so it should be included. 

So how are updates achieved? 

I'm not a mac person but I'd guess you downloaded the latest version and ran the installer? IOW, whatever you did to install what you have now but with the latest version. But that's a guess...

--- --- ---

I'm not sure why you'd want a paddle with eqmod though...

Let's hope a mac user can get onto this:)

1 hour ago, alacant said:

Yes.

It was added with indi 1.7.something so it should be included. 

I'm not a mac person but I'd guess you downloaded the latest version and ran the installer? IOW, whatever you did to install what you have now but with the latest version. But that's a guess...

--- --- ---

I'm not sure why you'd want a paddle with eqmod though...

Let's hope a mac user can get onto this:)

Thanks

I guess it's just the way I'm used to work with ASCOM EQMOD in Windows and Cartes du Ciel.   My laptop is in a warm room 5m from the scope. So if I'm aligning the mount visually during set up I need to be at the eyepiece. Similarly if I am doing visual astronomy I use the planetarium to send the telescope to the object of interest. But at the eyepiece I want to scan around the target etc. There is reason in my madness. 🙂 

I can see that if you just do imaging, or if your PC is right next to your telescope,  that you don't need a separate way to control the mount at the telescope.  

I tried Terminal.  No idea if this is what you meant me to do but I typed in

~ indiserver indi_joystick

and got back: -bash: ~$: command not found. 

Sorry, I'm very unfamiliar with a Mac other than just running apps.  

15 minutes ago, alacant said:

You should type:

indiserver indi_joystick

HTH

Yeah, tried that. I got "command not found". 

Do I have to be in the appropriate directory or something? 

5 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

command not found

Hi

If I understand correctly, you are using indi's eqmod and canon drivers to control your mount and camera and they work under EKOS. Try:

indiserver indi_eqmod_telescope

I'm assuming the command line app on a mac does the same as a Linux terminal. Anyway, if that command returns we know indi_joystick is an omission.

5 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

Do I have to be in the appropriate directory or something? 

The executable should be in your path so no, but just in case maybe try the commands 

/usr/bin/indiserver /usr/bin/indi_eqmod_telescope

That's where executables normally live on Linux at least.

If not, we need a mac user to chip in...

Edited by alacant

7 hours ago, alacant said:

Hi

If I understand correctly, you are using indi's eqmod and canon drivers to control your mount and camera and they work under EKOS. Try:

indiserver indi_eqmod_telescope

I'm assuming the command line app on a mac does the same as a Linux terminal. Anyway, if that command returns we know indi_joystick is an omission.

The executable should be in your path so no, but just in case maybe try the commands 

/usr/bin/indiserver /usr/bin/indi_eqmod_telescope

That's where executables normally live on Linux at least.

If not, we need a mac user to chip in...

I've just seen this this morning and will try it later.  Thanks for your help. 

Having posted this question on the INDI forum the short and simple answer appears to be that joystick support is limited to Linux only. 

I'll have to find another way to control the scope at the mount. 

I am am a bit surprised at this.  Joypad support is an integral part of ASCOM EQMOD on Windows.  It seems such a simple requirement.  

Edited by Ouroboros

2 hours ago, alacant said:

But they gave you a good alternative. Vnc in from your 'phone is probably easiest from there.

Cheers and good luck.

Yes. Good point. I'd tried that already with my iPad using an alternative to VNC called Duet.  I don't have wireless network at the scope, but Duet allows wired screen mirroring  between an iPad/phone and a Mac. It works but that mount control popup is a bit, well, clunky. A game pad is definitely more responsive.  

I think maybe I've got to reconsider how I work and pursue different avenues.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help.  🙂 

• 1 year later...
On 08/08/2019 at 22:44, Ouroboros said:

Yes. Good point. I'd tried that already with my iPad using an alternative to VNC called Duet.  I don't have wireless network at the scope, but Duet allows wired screen mirroring  between an iPad/phone and a Mac. It works but that mount control popup is a bit, well, clunky. A game pad is definitely more responsive.  

I think maybe I've got to reconsider how I work and pursue different avenues.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help.  🙂 

Hi There, I wast just wondering if there was any update on using a Joystick under EKOS on the Mac? I'm in exactly the same position as you were, needing a solution with an Xbox One controller or the like, near the mount, and for use from inside the house.

Thank you!

10 hours ago, MoggyToggy said:

Hi There, I wast just wondering if there was any update on using a Joystick under EKOS on the Mac? I'm in exactly the same position as you were, needing a solution with an Xbox One controller or the like, near the mount, and for use from inside the house.

Thank you!

If there is one I haven’t found one.  I have moved over to using the app VNC on my iPhone (or iPad) to enable me to stand at the scope whilst making adjustments for polar alignment, for example, or to move the mount/scope if observing visually.  VNC enables me to see what’s on my MacBook screen (5 metres away in the shed) on my iPhone and make adjustments to RA and DEC as if I were doing that from the Mac. It’s a bit clunky, and comes with the usual health warning that it’s an extra layer of technology with all the foibles that brings. Oh, if imaging I don’t calibrate the mount using the eyepiece anymore. I now use plate solving to get the mount pointing calibrated.

If doing visual only, whilst using a computer for mount control, the VNC/iPhone  setup works tolerably well. Frankly though I think the joystick method was simpler to use, more reliable, and more responsive.  Sometimes because of this I can’t be bothered with using the computer, and instead go back to using the Skywatcher hand set even though I think the computer is better.