Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Light Shroud for 16" Dobsonian

Hi,  I am sure many here have already done this,  so i am hoping someone can help me out here.

I am looking to put a fabric light shroud aorund a 16 inch Dobsonian.
It is one of those Skywatcher collapsible Dobsonians which have the 3 truss tubes.

I see that you can get some online,  but after many phone calls to all the shops that have them listed,  nothing will be in stock until after October.

So i figured i could make one and would most likely be better than the ones you can by.
I had one for a 10" which have about 3 or 4 poles sewn into the fabric,  and after a while the fabric looses tension and sags in between the poles blocking some of the light.

So was really interested to here and see what other members on here have used for a light shroud and how they went about it.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Peter.

Hi Peter,

I had one of those with the 3 poles and didn't like it, a pain to fix on and take off and not good quality.

I now have the Astrozap shroud from FLO and it really is super, once it's on you leave it permanently in place as it simply folds down as you collapse the flex tube scope, brilliant design!

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dew-prevention/astrozap-light-shroud-for-skywatcher-flextube.html

Peter for the school's 16 inch dob I bought some rip-stop (nylon) material from Amazon then had a local seamstresses sew it up.  When I spoke to her about she laughed and said its basically a big sock !  The rip-stop is not stretchable and so far it's been working fine.  Material cost and sewing cost all came in less than £30 from what I remember. 

Jim