NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

In the market for new CMOS camera.

kirkster501

13 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

There are some startling examples on Cloudy Nights - patterns of circles radiation out from stars. They seem to be associated with a combination of filter spacing and micro-lenses.

post-262704-0-89796600-1542308084.jpg

Yes those are micro lensing from the ASI1600mm pro a well known issue. I was more interested in an example from a OSC full frame CMOS as per what Olly was discussing. I think its worth noting that the micro lensing is caused by a un-coated cover glass not the sensor technology itself and so if you placed an uncoated cover glass over a CCD you would have micro lensing on the CCD too. Actually you do see this as in the QHY9m which uses the budget version of the KAF8300 without coating, although its less pronounced due to the larger pixels of that chip.  

11 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

On DS imaging I wouldn't bank on the 14 inch Meade beating your TEC 140. My money would go the other way.

Olly

Indeed Olly.  The SCT is for planetary and lunar and visual for 99% of its use.  The TEC/FSQ is for AP.  But I wanted an option to use it on DSO too but it is not my main concern.  Another camera for use with the FSQ is my number one consideration.  I have repurposed the G2-8300 for camera lenses. 

• Like 1

I'm thinking about a CMOS as well - partly as I cannot justify the expense of the large format CCD equivalents, but would like a larger image. Currently trying to weigh up the Atik horizon vs. the ASI 1600 (mono in both cases)... I never heard about microlensing before. Fascinating stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem of microlenses only occurs with cameras that use the Panasonic MN34230 sensor:
ASI1600
QHY163
Atik Horizon

The rest of cmos cameras do not have this problem. It is not a problem of cmos technology.

If you are thinking of buying a Full Frame sensor, I recommend waiting for the new CMOS sensors that QHY and ZWO have presented:
QHY600 and ASI6200 (monochrome and color):

https://www.qhyccd.com/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show&catid=94&id=55

Sony BSI, 15 paradas, 60 mpx, 3,76um, ADC: 16 bits, ReadNoise: 1e - 2,3e, FullWell 49Ke, hardware Binning: 1x1 - 2x2 - 3x3, USB3, buffer 2GB DDR3.

Edited by cabfl
  • Like 2