Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lagoon Nebula?

So I’ve just started dabbling In some imaging with my Canon T4i and evostar 72ED on my Nexstar se mount. I gathered about 12 minutes of data on the Lagoon (and mind you, I live in the middle of Hong Kong under bortle 8 skies), but I am a bit underwhelmed by the detail I pulled out. Is this what I should’ve expected? Should I take more subs? I can’t pass 30 seconds as my mount limits me. Thanks!

18082B4B-91CE-4B0C-B7F4-43CE73B33E23.jpeg

I used to use the SE mount for imaging and so appreciate your limitations. More data will always help, but the problem with any Alt-az mount is that you start to get field-rotation, so only the central part of the image is useable. I think you will be more impressed if you try some open clusters rather than nebulae ... you can get better results with shorter integrated times. There are some nice ones in the Sgr/Oph region.

I was just filming my first DSO image yesterday, the laggon nebula as well :)

This is the results I got to with the help of people in the forum here:

image.png.1fd29e2ad765a76d4e3a72109f6b6d7d2.jpg.c99b5f4aa7305606dd2566f4b8eb0bfe.jpg

That's really not amazing, but you can see some color and details.

I'll advice you to post the RAW pictures here so people will be able to help you extract more details from the image, that's how I got to this result.

I just had a thread which rolled into something similar to this, so you can take a look here: 

The second page is mostly relevant, but maybe some other tips there will be useful.

Good luck!