NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron cpc800 starbright XLT

I’ve the chance to buy the celestron  cpc800 starbright xlt second hand , it was originally at £1399 and then reduced to £1100.

The private seller as assured me that it’s only been used a couple of times and is in new condition with no marks on it.

due to the location she has had difficulty in selling it, I have offered to purchase it for £900 and she has agreed to sell reluctantly.

has no warranty, but it’s in new condition. Cost new about £1700

what are your thoughts.

much appreciated.

67686E94-D7C9-47CF-92B0-4F2ECB986483.jpeg

E2F6A928-7742-424D-B9BC-543570E36AD6.jpeg

EA7D6D58-C6C1-424B-895B-32131191A301.jpeg

I can see from the photos that it comes with quite a lot of extras. You would be getting a real bargain I suspect, assuming the optics are in decent condition, and from everything else on show, they will be. In fact I would guess you would have to pay well over £2000 for all that new. £ 1945 just for the CPC, according to FLO. Bite her hand off and consider yourself lucky you cannot be done for highway robbery! 😜

They live in a very remote area, i had a conversation 1hr ago , they only used it twice but with the chilly weather and they age said, it was a good idea at the time but unfortunately time consuming.

its about 2yrs old

If it's what you want then grab it quick and stop looking a gift horse in the mouth.  It's a steal at that price. It's a great scope for general observing and for planetary imaging, and the mount is exceptionally stable (in contrast to the C8 SE which has the same OTA). Guide price for an as-new scope is  66% of the new price.

I bought a similar CPC800 a few months ago and have not regretted the purchase. I didn't haggle over the price asked...

Just be aware that the fork/OTA assembly weighs over 20Kg and you need to be able-bodied to carry it & get it on the tripod.  Depending on how you store it, it can take a bit of time to get it all assembled ready to use.  Definitely not grab'n go.

As for the Goto setup, it has GPS which in contrast to some systems makes it really easy to setup - just turn it on and align it with a couple of stars or a planet.

I had the CPC1100, it was a monster which almost took my life twice while carrying the upper assembly down stairs, having said that, I greatly enjoyed it while I had it. The scope aligned and tracked bang on target time after time, alignment was a breeze, optically it was great also, I gave it up because it was more than I could chew in the mobility department.