Extended Dovetail

Celestron Evolution 6 and Canon EOS R connected via a tele-extender. Makes the set up quite long and limits declination.

What is the solution to this? I am considering an extended dovetail bracket to mount the OTA higher, with a side arm to help support the camera. Is this a done thing? Or does it overload the mount?

83FF9D3C-76D6-4777-9BB4-7C2968F10F6F.thumb.jpeg.bad68cc5515f10df9013baa3feaa8eb6.jpeg

The main problem I can see is whether or not you will be able to achieve balance if you mount the tube too far forward. Adding additional weight to the back would solve that problem, but you don't want to overload the mount - apart for increasing the strain on the mechanics, this will tend to increase vibrations, which is the last thing you want when you are using eyepiece projection! IMO, these one arm mounts are not the most stable at the best of times ...

I was initially using a diagonal and a barlow. Will have to try that again.

I like using eyepiece projection because you line up using the eyepiece then slide the extender over it and are ready to go.

Archived