Second refractor plans

So really enjoying the fun with my Sky-Watcher 72ED. And with a budget in the bank and brexit looming, plan on getting a second scope in the next month or so.

I would like to look at smaller objects - planetary nebulas, smaller nebulas, etc. Things that a crop with the 72ED would be too much for.

is the only option to get an longer focal length scope - will a Barlow at 3x or 2x just not provide enough light with a 72mm aperture?

I also have a NexStar 6SE which can get to 3000mm with a Barlow, but has coma/collimating issues. I can see a few pictures on Astrobin, but not many. However I do have a few bits and pieces around the 1.25” form.. a nice baeder zoom, etc

What would you do? Sell the 6SE and buy a refractor for both Astro and visual, keep the 6SE for visual and use the refractor for photos? Any other options? (worth considering Newtonian?)

budget is about £1300 + Resale value of the nexstar - has to cover accessories as well.

currently thinking skywatcher 120ed-dspro.... but is it worth spending more? Or wait it out and invest time in the 6Se?

ideas welcome, 

cheers

joe

Please dont use a Barlow. It only reduces the Field of View, but also light transmission reduces because of the number of lenses the light needs to go through. Plus, for small objects you need to increase resolution of the scope. By adding a Barlow you're only boosting the focal length. Resolution is increased with aperture. 

In this regard, I'd recommend you get a  to 8 inch SCT from Celestron. But you'll also need a mount to support all that weight

Archived