SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Solar imaging advice

Hi all

Quick question, today I was trying to image the sun, but I was unable to get a full shot in my cameras FOV. Visually I could see the entire sun in my FOV but on imaging I could only see around 50%.

I have been able to capture a full image previously but that was using a basic Sony cybershot on an eyepiece mount. Same scope and mount as below.

Q: should I be able to take a full image of the sun with my new camera setup? If so, do I need any equipment such as a focal reducer?

Setup:

Scope: 150p newt (f5) on EQ goto mount with solar tracking. 

Camera (new): Altair Astro 290c.

Filter: Seymore solar class B glass solar filter.

No Barlow etc, just camera direct into OTA focuser.

Excuse me if this is a daft question, I'm still learning 😀

Edited by Portech7
Additional info added

1 hour ago, Portech7 said:

Hi all

Quick question, today I was trying to image the sun, but I was unable to get a full shot in my cameras FOV. Visually I could see the entire sun in my FOV but on imaging I could only see around 50%.

I have been able to capture a full image previously but that was using a basic Sony cybershot on an eyepiece mount. Same scope and mount as below.

Q: should I be able to take a full image of the sun with my new camera setup? If so, do I need any equipment such as a focal reducer?

Setup:

Scope: 150p newt (f5) on EQ goto mount with solar tracking. 

Camera (new): Altair Astro 290c.

Filter: Seymore solar class B glass solar filter.

No Barlow etc, just camera direct into OTA focuser.

Excuse me if this is a daft question, I'm still learning 😀

I use a 0.5 reducer to get a full disk with my 60mm lunt and a zwo asi120mm camera, hope that helps.

• Thanks 1