Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fading Noctilucent Timelapse

Popped out for a quick session on Friday night and there was a lovely Noctilucent Cloud formation to the North, so I popped my camera on a tripod and recorded it.

The video was using a Canon SL1 at 22mm f4 taking 265 shots between 23:49 and 00:30. I used Pixinsight for a curves tweak and some unsharp masking and then Videopad to string it all together and add a bit of music.

The red light in the foreground for part of it is me setting up the dob. It doesn’t really add to the ambience- but it led a pretty good session despite needing to do a bit of cloud dodging.

• Like 4

very nice, saw those too but could only image them from the front of the house and I didn't fancy leaving my camera out there all evening?

What res photos do you use for your timelapses? Whenever I try and stitch mine together it crashes my computer, I'm wondering if the resolution is too high.

Thanks @Mr niall. Yes- I always feel a bit vulnerable leaving my gear outside- I was lucky this one was from my back garden! I was using large jpegs for this- 5184x3456- although some of that quality is lost as it encodes the video. It takes a little while to process but the computer seems to cope ok. Videopad has a curves feature as well, but each change seems to take about 5 minutes to apply as it rolls it out across the clip! 

1 hour ago, Whistlin Bob said:

Thanks @Mr niall. Yes- I always feel a bit vulnerable leaving my gear outside- I was lucky this one was from my back garden! I was using large jpegs for this- 5184x3456- although some of that quality is lost as it encodes the video. It takes a little while to process but the computer seems to cope ok. Videopad has a curves feature as well, but each change seems to take about 5 minutes to apply as it rolls it out across the clip! 

So whats that, about 18MP each?! Oh no my poor computer couldn't cope with that!

• Like 1