ZWO OAG to SW 72mm Refractor

Hi,

Can anyone provide some much-needed assistance.?

I'm (reluctantly) getting into imaging because I want to do simple spectroscopy with my Star Analyser 100 diffraction grating. I have a (new) ZWO OAG and a Skywatcher 72 refractor. Unfortunately, I can't fathom out the connectivity between the telescope and the OAG. The main camera side is obvious, but I can't see how the female thread on the drawtube of the SW 72 is the be linked to the OAG. Any thoughts?

Best regards,

Rigel, Guildford, Surrey

Can’t  help with the fitment of the OAG, but I would question why you think it necessary if you are going to use a SA100 grating?

Normally the grating would be mounted in the 1.25” camera nosepiece. (Which camera do you intend to use?)

With an EQ mount the non-guided tracking accuracy is probably good enough to get you started.

Merlin66, Yes, of course you're right - I have the camera adaptor and nosepiece and that setup is fine. However, I want to experiement on some fainter, diffuse targets - inc comets. I know that a spectroscope with a slit rather than an SA 100 would be preferred for diffuse objects, but I can't afford one. The other reason for using an OAG is that I want to give simple, deep-sky, imaging a try - in particular I want to see how deep I can get with a small refractor (72mm) and a DSLR camera. 

Thanks for you comments!

Rigel.

• 2 weeks later...

Here how I connected mine:

Telescope -> 2” nosepiece -> 21 & 16mm extenders -> adapter thread -> oag

took me a while to figure out the adapter thread - was attached to something else.

here’s a photo, not sure if this is the optimal way...

F600528F-AC80-4EFA-AF7B-1ADC5978A1DE.thumb.jpeg.6ce72d5f081061899b2e0b1e78ff2770.jpeg1269D791-9473-457F-939C-97F49216DFCE.thumb.jpeg.0a749099cab87a13f78e7f981d44b9d0.jpeg

Archived