Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

90mm Refractor or 6" dob as grab and go

I'm stuck with analysis paralysis when it comes to deciding on a grab and go scope. I've got an Orion XT10 dob and I'm now looking for something that I can just grab and go outside for a quick view when the need arises.

I've narrowed it down to either a Skywatcher 90mm f/10 refractor on an Alt-Az mount or a Skywatcher 6" dobsonian. Sadly we are extremely limited to the available brands and models of telescopes over here in South Africa. My budget is also pretty small seeing this is an absolute luxury to get a second scope.

I've never used a refractor before so I don't know what to expect from them. CA seems to be my major concern on top of the very small aperture.

I love my XT10, and I'm sure I'll love the 6" dob as well. The only downside of the dob would be longer cooldown times and being slightly less portable.

Anyone with direct experience of the Skywatcher Evostar 90mm or similar refractors willing to share their views? I simply can't decide between the two.

Have you thought about trying to make your XT10 a bit more portable? Don't worry I'm not suggesting you saw it up or anything like that! I presume you are just wanting something to set up at home that you can have up and running in a few minutes? If you can store your 10 inch dob assembled in a garage you could make a secure wheeled trolley with a pull handle on it to simply "wheel it out" (and back in when it rains unexpectedly) as needed. It seems a shame to get a second smaller scope if you've got a 10 inch scope there that will outperform by quite a margin a 90mm refractor or 150mm dob. There are commerically available trolleys but anyone who is handy could make one quite cheaply and I dare say cheaper than what you'd spend on your second scope.

I did think of that, but I really want another scope. Portability is a good excuse... and I want to give a refractor a chance, since I've never used one before.

In the end I did got the 90mm refractor. It arrived last night and I've got it assembled and waiting for dark so I can put it through it's paces during first light tonight.

Archived