NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which lenses for canon 70d

Hi

i have just bought a 70d and I was just wondering which lenses I should use? I will be buying a telescope later down the line and the star adventurer but for now I just would like to get to know the camera and use it on a normal tripod as I have never used a dslr. My budget would be around £200 do you think I should get 2 lenses or buy one decent one? And what would I be able to photograph while I practice without any tracking?

thanks for the help

Hello again! The 18-55mm stock one is good to start with. I then bought a sigma 70-300mm one which obviously allowed me to get much closer to objects, but I never quite worked out the f stop for that.  

I have borrowed a really wide sigma (10-20mm) one off a friend which is probably my favourite dslr lens at the moment.

For objects without tracking there are all sorts, you just have to keep the exposure length under about 15 seconds on the lenses I used - but you can get an remote for your camera and just have it fire off hundreds of shots. Don’t forget to keep the object in view from time to time though haha! At the moment with summer time star clusters are cool, also the moon :)

• Thanks 1