NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SkySafari software

The latest issue of ''Astronomy Now'' details the SkySafari6 programme, and indicates it can be used for remote telescope control. Has anyone had experience of this programme ? I am interests in the possibility of using it to remotely control my iOptron MiniTower mount so that I can get accurate star alignment.

Keith (old codger)

Hi Keith.

In order for anyone to help, please tell what equipment you will use for the remote control.

For example, many  have a computer at the scope and one at the remote location for control, such as a home office.

How far from the scope is the control computer? What connectivity will you have between the control computer and the scope setup?

In my case, I have a omputer (Mc Mini) at the scope and desktop computer (iMac) in my office.

The are about 370 feet apart and connected via a Cat5e cable. The SkySafari (or other similar app) is on the Mac Mini and, I use a remote desk (screen sharing) to control it from the iMac. The Mac Mini is connected to my scope via an Ethernet cable, but your Ioptron may be able to use a USB connection. 

The SkySafari setup to control the scope is not to difficult. Simulation Curriculum has some info online for that setup.

Best of luck.

Fivel

• Like 1

I have SkySafari Pro 6 which I use on with my Meade LX-90.

There are two ways that you can use this software to connect to the scope.    First is using a device life the SkyFi.  There's three versions, wired, wifi and bluetooth.   I have the Wifi one and it works great, just plug the SkyFi into the serial port of the scope and setup SkySafari and connect.

The second way is to use a program like WifiScope and connect via Ascom.   This depends on the driver that you are using as to whether it can deal with the commands or not.