Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

William Optics Z61 vs. Sky Watcher ED72

Leon is back at it again!

This time, I didn't really encounter a problem– except I don't know which one of these is better– the Evostar 72ED or the William Optics Z61 ZenithStar. (72ED is 400$, Z61 is 500$)

Just for some extra information, what I'm planning to photograph with said telescope are faint (magnitude 8-10, etc.) galaxies (and maybe some nebulae like the Horsehead.) Another factor that may prove crucial to choosing which is best is what camera I'll use, and that's the Canon Rebel T3i. Also also, both of these seem to be OTAs, meaning I'll have to get a flattener (which, for the 72ED, I have already found), a guide scope (a shop-made 60mm F/4, 0.9 kg one) and a guide camera (a ZWO ASI 120mm Mini.) Another piece of key information is that the mount I'll utilise will be a SynScan, Dual Axis Motor Driven EQ5.

Help and suggestions will be much appreciated!

Clear skies,

Leon.

1 hour ago, LR Watanabe said:

Leon is back at it again!

This time, I didn't really encounter a problem– except I don't know which one of these is better– the Evostar 72ED or the William Optics Z61 ZenithStar. (72ED is 400$, Z61 is 500$)

Just for some extra information, what I'm planning to photograph with said telescope are faint (magnitude 8-10, etc.) galaxies (and maybe some nebulae like the Horsehead.) Another factor that may prove crucial to choosing which is best is what camera I'll use, and that's the Canon Rebel T3i. Also also, both of these seem to be OTAs, meaning I'll have to get a flattener (which, for the 72ED, I have already found), a guide scope (a shop-made 60mm F/4, 0.9 kg one) and a guide camera (a ZWO ASI 120mm Mini.) Another piece of key information is that the mount I'll utilise will be a SynScan, Dual Axis Motor Driven EQ5.

Help and suggestions will be much appreciated!

Clear skies,

Leon.

With the exception of M31 and M33 neither of those are ideal for galaxy imaging in any detail. Both will work well for wide field with a DSLR. I would probably push you in the direction of the WO Z61 though as it comes with some nice features. The field flattner for the Z61 (FLAT61A) has a rotator and a 2 inch filter mount incorporated into it. It also has a retractable dew shield and generally superior build quality perticually in terms of the focuser. 

The 72ED will be optically faster as its flattner is also a reducer 0.85....however people have complained of insufficient back focus with that scope and the SW0.85 reducer. Also for me pushing a doublet down to F5 will result in more CA in comparison to the Z61.

Read this thread before buying a 72ED.

In the end I guess I am saying that I would get the Z61 if it was my money and I wanted a wide field scope suited to a EQ5. Its the safer bet. 

Adam

7 hours ago, Adam J said:

With the exception of M31 and M33 neither of those are ideal for galaxy imaging in any detail. Both will work well for wide field with a DSLR. I would probably push you in the direction of the WO Z61 though as it comes with some nice features. The field flattner for the Z61 (FLAT61A) has a rotator and a 2 inch filter mount incorporated into it. It also has a retractable dew shield and generally superior build quality perticually in terms of the focuser. 

The 72ED will be optically faster as its flattner is also a reducer 0.85....however people have complained of insufficient back focus with that scope and the SW0.85 reducer. Also for me pushing a doublet down to F5 will result in more CA in comparison to the Z61.

Read this thread before buying a 72ED.

In the end I guess I am saying that I would get the Z61 if it was my money and I wanted a wide field scope suited to a EQ5. Its the safer bet. 

Adam

Hmm... I see.

Well, what about nebula like the Orion Nebula? Seeing as the Z61 will be wide field, I guess the Z61 will be a fantastic learning scope!

Also, should I purchase a rail, or will it just go right into the EQ5?

51 minutes ago, LR Watanabe said:

Hmm... I see.

Well, what about nebula like the Orion Nebula? Seeing as the Z61 will be wide field, I guess the Z61 will be a fantastic learning scope!

Also, should I purchase a rail, or will it just go right into the EQ5?

It will go straight onto the EQ5, but you might be able to balance it better with a rail...might be worth looking at other peoples setups.

You will find it a good scope to learn with and it won't tax your mount. 

Just make sure that duel axis kit includes a guide port. Personally I would buy a pro mount. 

Archived