NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Essential viewing for the weekend!

EA2007

Forget the x-factor, forget the football (Good Luck Boro btw!), forget even TopGear, no wait....remember to watch TopGear..............but we have a new program to watch kids and that is:

Einstein & Eddington on BBC 2 Saturday at 21:10With Gollum and Bill Sykes playing Einiey and Dr Who playing Eddington it should be quite good.Can't believe no one has posted earlier about this...........unless they have for which I apologise.

no worries, should be good although it is a one off.

Just realised I wrote "we have a new program to watch kids"............not good. What I meant was 'we have a new program to watch' kids (us lot being kids).

Bit like on School of Rock last night where Jack Black says "your kids have touched me and I'm sure I have touched quite a few of them"

Oh dear.

What a great program and excellently casted, goes to show that for all the rubbish television we have the BBC can still atleast provide some good viewing.

Forget the Jonathan Ross show (as I am quite sure some of us will be doing) or russell brand on radio and other completely useless 'youngster aimed' media.......make them watch this, good educational t.v. factual and engaging, who knows it might inspire one of them to get of their backsides and do something inspiring.

(P.S. I can get away with dissing youngsters, I should know, I am one!)

Andy Serkis, whos playing Einstein played Gollum in the Lord of the Rings and Bill Sykes in Oliver Twist.

Unless he can replicate himself then there's only one of him!

He's also the villain Rigaud in Little Dorrit.... Seems to do villains rather well, but at least he only makes Einstein a womaniser (which he was)...

Just watched the programme. Very good, thought-provoking stuff. Pity they ballsed up the eclipse scene big-time - they had it that there were only 'five minutes' from before first contact to totality (?!); stars were visible before totality, and the starscape behind the eclipsed sun looked to me a lot like Scorpius and Sagittarius (with the superimposed sun/moon about twenty times too big!) - this notwithstanding Eddington's own statement that the eclipse would be near the Hyades in Taurus (perfectly true - I've just checked the 1919 ephemeris).

Ah well, they don't have to get everything right I suppose...

Yes I was wondering that.............they also forget to mention the other voyage to South America to make sure that if the weather was bad in Africa they could still get it in another location (unless that was for another eclipse, for which I apologise).

The displacement of stars, even very close to the sun's limb, would have been less than two arcseconds. In the scene where Eddington superimposes the plates, the displacement looks far too big: well over an arc minute I'd estimate. But then: they probably needed to exaggerate for the dramatic effect. I don't know whether it's historically accurate, that some of the scientists stormed out in disgus.t...

Err... perhaps a bit churlish of me to nit-pick on the astronomy details - sorry! (I suppose we've all got rather anti-BBC feelings at the moment, I know I have!) Just watched through the whole thing, only caught the second half last night. Very touching, very sensitive treatment especially of Eddington. Reminds me a lot of Michael Frayn's superb Copenhagen (also TV-dramatised not long ago). But how different! In Copenhagen we have two men who loathe and detest one another, and the play leaves one with a depressed feeling at the end. Here the main protagonists love and respect one another's work - albeit they only meet briefly at the very end - and the play ends with a definite feel-good sense. One had the feeling that marvellous things were to transpire in science in the next decade - as indeed happened!

Although Eddington is portrayed as rather serious, moody and introspective in this production, this is not borne out in his written works especially The Nature of the Physical World (which I read as a schoolboy). That book has a lot of droll twinkly-eyed humour in it. He it was who first postulated the celebrated 'million monkeys at keyboards' hypothesis. :hello2:

Precise or not it was great entertainment, I thouroughly enjoyed every minute of it :hello2:

Regards

Kevin

Agreed Kevin, the bits I saw of it were great. I can understand why they would need to portray the difference in the stars to be much bigger - they need to convey quite a complex concept to a wide range of people.

Sam

I've just watched the recording of the programme; the rest of the family were watching 'I'm a nonentity, get me out of here', last night.

Einstein & Eddington was a good drama with high production values.

I cant vouch for the accuracy of the science involved, but the most glaring error was in the opening sequence. A FULL Moon the night before a total eclipse of the Sun!

Check it out on the BBC iPlayer.

Paul

excellent programme better than most of the other crud that was on loved Einsteins Epiphany moment stood in the middle of the road liked the end piece with the old guard walking out of the royal society meeting to when he gave the verdict wonder how many times in history that has happened for real good actors choice too all in all 8 out of ten from me regards Pete

this looks good think i can remember this when i was kid.

New series. Modern interpretation of the Seventies post-apocalyptic drama. The survivors of a virus that has killed most of the world's population must band together to pull through - without any of the comforts of 21st-century life. With society having collapsed, the group's greatest danger is not so much starvation as the threat from other survivors. BBC 1, 9.00

Archived