Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pegasus Astro pocket power box (PPB) mini review.

Danjc

I wanted a solution to get my many cables down to just one power cable & one data cable from the scope to laptop & power supply. 

There are a fair few solutions but the PPB Link caught my eye and with PAS just around the corner I hung on so I could have a proper look and ask a few questions I had.  

The Pegasus guys were very helpful and also Ian from Altair Astro gave me a great deal and also sent me a Canon dummy battery through the post ??

I initially tested it all out in the comfort of the garage and found that the PPB worked spot on when directly connected to the laptop but when I tried connecting through my Startech USB hub it wouldn’t connect. I contacted Pegasus for some help and got a very timely response from Angelos who explained it was probably the USB hub as he had had this issue before and backed this up with a email from Startech from another user who had the same problem. 

Angelos simply suggested trying a shorter USB lead so purchased a Lindy USB 2.0 .5m Anthra line and as I needed a longer cable for the USB hub also purchased a 3m USB 3.0 Chromo line. This did the trick and everything connected up first time and has done ever since ??

I have now ran with the PPB several times while imaging and it has not missed a beat and after the cable management setup it has saved me a good chunk off time in both set up and tear down. 

Link to how I have mine setup. 

I have two dew heaters, DSLR, and power to both my HEQ5 pro and USB hub currently running of the PPB with two spare 12v connections for future use.   

The provided environmental sensor is spot on as I cross referenced the data it was providing at the time with several websites and the temperature, humidity & dew point all corresponded very well. 

Am I pleased with the PPB....definitely, it has not only speeded up setup & tear down but also has very useful function with an extremely easy to use & well laid out UI.

F2AF2BFD-1915-4A67-BD7D-445D13F28B8A.jpeg.602797ddab5ad7d33e90d42c633a6b99.jpeg

515293A7-CDEA-478F-87C6-86651BE33676.jpeg.dcf396effe32fa0ff7bcd59594a8099b.jpeg

A88669D5-7844-453E-A718-089DB09169AF.jpeg.3a1f9f3148e36dd3d0b13901483036ad.jpeg

507B1228-3B97-4BC1-B526-2A4528A54ECB.jpeg.70afd4a8488cd0fe7623df9234e296a9.jpeg

714A4E5D-0DFA-45DB-BD26-F3F367203D8F.thumb.jpeg.c2fc104dc8fdefeaee350d91dcfd9a92.jpeg

Just for confirmation I have no affiliation with either Pegasus Astro or Altair Astro.  

Cheers, Dan. 

Edited by Danjc
  • Like 2

I just purchased a Pegasus Pocket Powerbox (PPB) at NEAF and am finally connecting it up.  Everything seems to work, however, I would like to connect the power cable for my Plugable USB3 Hub into the PPB and the supplied cable from Pegasus does not fit the USB power connection.  The metal spike from the USB power input is wider than the hole on the cable connection.  I like the Plugable brand but am wondering if another brand USB Hub would work?  I have attached a picture.  Thanks.

Cable.jpg

Sorry to hear that your power cable doesn’t fit. 

Can you confirm that your Plugable USB hub power supply is 12v ? As some of the Plugable hubs I had a quick look at on Amazon are 5v. 

Edited by Danjc

That is what it says but I might just go ahead and get the StarTech USB Hub like you have any way because I like how the come out the top. Evans from Pegasus said he uses the StarTech Hub as well.

• 6 months later...

@Danjc Great thread. I have the same PPB and it works a treat. I run 2 dew bands, camera, mount and focuser. While my USB's plug into the back of my CEM60. Like you I ended up getting Lindy USB cables to make sure the USB's didn't cause issues. I find the 4 power out puts, 2 dew bands and the environmental indicator do all I need. Thanks.

• Thanks 1